It’s officially Summer 🌞 !

It’s summer and I am really excited.

Summer definitely just gives a whole other ‘vibe’ to the campus and to my experience in the UK.

Even though my courses ended on May 16th, if you remember from my latest blog post (READ HERE), I still had some assignments due and one exam on June 4th. I am happy to say that I am survived them all and immediately left for home right after my exam on June 5th.

Summer at the University of Surrey

I had been debating whether to go home or not for my dissertation fieldwork for the past 2 months after my first initial meeting with my supervisor. However, it’s not only after I started to write the methodology section of my dissertation that I realized I would actually get better results if I was going home.

To give you a little bit of information on my dissertation, I opted for a qualitative research method in which I was going to conduct semi-structured interviews with the official tourism authorities of my country, the restaurant and hotels owners in addition to regional and international tourists.

Where is home you may ask?

I am from Côte d’Ivoire (I had shared a little more information in my very first blog post – READ HERE) which is in West Africa.

Summer at the University of Surrey

I stayed home from June 6th to June 18th and I was thankfully able to conduct all the interviews in a timely manner and still enjoy my time with my loved ones and dive in some delicious Ivorian cuisine.

What’s the plan now that I am back?

Well the priority is of course to complete my dissertation but also to explore England a little bit more. I still have the cities of Manchester, Birmingham, the regions of the Lake District and Cornwall on my #VisitEngland list.

Summer at the University of Surrey

And of course, to enjoy Summer in the UK…while it last…

Thank you for reading,

Until next time,

Yasmine