Welcome to the blog!

Hello everyone!

I’m very excited to have started this blog and looking forward to sharing what it’s like to come to Surrey from Germany! As some of you may have read, I am from Munich and doing BSc Biomedical Science in my second year at the University of Surrey. After completion of my Abitur I still didn’t quite know where I wanted to go, so I decided to take a gap year to travel to Costa Rica and the US with a friend and absolutely loved it! Understanding how different cultures work and seeing new places are such a valuable experience and I started to seriously consider going abroad for university.

When looking for universities in the UK, Surrey really stood out to me. The university offers a broad range of degree programs and is known for its academic excellence and student satisfaction. The location could not be better as we’re just a half an hour train ride away from London. It is not without reason that is said “If you are tired of London, you are tired of life”, as there is always so much to do! On the other hand, Guildford is a relatively small town of around 60,000 people and you can easily escape to the countryside if you want to.

Being in a different country obviously makes the application process a lot more difficult. However, the response I got from Surrey was amazing and everyone I contacted was super helpful. I was very lucky to actually have a friend who at that point was studying here. This meant that I could get loads of firsthand information on things like applications, moving overseas, accommodation or student life in general. I hope that you’ll find this blog helpful in getting a feel of what life at Surrey is like! If you have any questions – as simple as they may be – please just email me and I’d be happy to help!

Of course moving to England to study can be challenging at times, but otherwise it wouldn’t be as fun would it? In my opinion it’s definitely worth it! I’m looking forward to sharing my experience with you!