Hikes around Howth

Happy New Year! I hope you’ve all had a wonderful holiday season! I went back to Munich for two weeks over Christmas and met up with loads of friends, went skiing and had far too many Plätzchen (German Christmas cookies). Now that I’m back in Ireland, I thought I could write a bit about some of the amazing places here I’ve visited so far. The great thing about being on placement in Dublin is that I have the perfect excuse to do lots of day and weekend trips!

Just North of Dublin is a little fishing village called Howth. It’s the perfect day trip destination from the city, as its easily accessible by both bus and the Dublin commuter train (DART). The town is located on the peninsula of Howth Head, which forms the northern boundary of Dublin Bay.

The cliff walk to the summit of Howth head is stunning, with views of the island Ireland’s Eye, Dublin Bay and a rather picturesque lighthouse. It’s easy to forget that you’re only 20 minutes from Dublin city centre! This is why I have taken almost all of my visitors there so far. The summit pub is great for grabbing a drink or some hot food. Howth Harbour is also beautiful, so walking the pier is definitely worth it. Also, some of the best seafood in Dublin can be found in Howth!