Saying goodbye to an incredible Erasmus+ Placement

Hey guys, I’m back for my last placement blog. I am now almost at the end of the final month of my placement, which is a bittersweet feeling. I have been so lucky to have had this opportunity to work real-time in the healthcare profession and also get to be in my home country for 10 months.

The Greek flag. In the background is lake Aliakmonas, one of the largest manmade lakes near my hometown Kozani.

Goodbye to my placement

Within this final month I have had the opportunity to expand my knowledge and skills to the max. From finishing up in the lab doing Radio-Immuno-Assay tests, to caring for my last patients in the g-camera space, this placement has been truly inspiring, full of learning experiences and working alongside astounding people.

Machines in the RIA lab, used to measure hormone and drug levels in patients’ blood samples.

Saying au revoir, to my friends and family

A major part of this year has been being close to my family and old friends from high school. We finished off an amazing year by going on vacation to the sea and enjoying live rock concerts, whilst also eating as much Greek food as I can.

Getting ready to move back to the U.K.

I have slowly but surely started to pack and get ready for the big move back. I am so excited to get back to university and start my final year. Saying goodbye to everyone and everything here is going to be emotional but I’m so ready to get back to the U.K. and move into my new house.

Reflection on this year

During this year I have applied previously studied material and further developed both my academic and professional skills. I have also evolved as a person. I have learnt to be compassionate, patient and understanding through patient care, whilst I have also further expanded my organisational skills, remaining professional at all times and working as part of a team. This year really helped me figure out what I would like to do in the future and has inspired/ steered me even more to set my goals on becoming a doctor and working in the healthcare sector. I have my incredible placement supervisor, here in Greece, to thank for this opportunity and for helping me realise my true potential.

If you are contemplating whether you should do a placement year, I say, go for it! Don’t be afraid to take risks. Letting yourself get out of your comfort zone is the most rewarding life lesson. Now it’s time to say goodbye and get ready for final year. Dissertation year – here I come.

The view of the entire city of Thessaloniki, from the ancient ruins of the city’s walls.

At one of the ports in Chalkidiki, during my last vacation.

The sea in Chalkidiki, a perfect blue and perfect weather.