SurreyLearn’s new look – FAQs

We’ve compiled a list of frequently asked questions to support you using SurreyLearn’s refreshed look. We hope these help – and if you have any more, contact TEL@surrey.ac.uk We might just add them to our list!

Everything seems to have changed. Do I need training?

SurreyLearn has a new look, but how it works will remain the same, so training isn’t needed. However, If you would like to drop in and see us to familiarise yourself with the new look, you can come to one of our drop-in sessions over the summer.

I really liked the old SurreyLearn. Why have things changed?

The look and feel needed to change to make SurreyLearn mobile and tablet-friendly and fully accessible. We’ve also made it easier to find things by reorganising content and co-designing new menus and functionality with staff and students. Read more about the project background. or watch our Show and TEL preview event recording

I see there is an image at the top of my module page. I would like to change this. Can I?

Yes, you can. There are three options:

1. There is a stock of more than 3000 images to search in SurreyLearn which you can easily use.
  2. You can choose your own by selecting from a number of free image asset banks. Be aware that you will need to choose a suitable landscape photo and crop and resize the image.
  3. You can choose an image of your own or that you have found elsewhere. If you do this, you will need to be aware of copyright implications.

Instructions on how to implement options 1, 2 or 3, and how to address copyright issues are available on the new support and guidance site for staff, the TEL hub.

There is now a common toolbar and homepage. Can I change these?

Yes, but we recommend you use the common ones to create a consistent student experience

Students and staff designed the common toolbar and homepage with the Department of Technology Enhanced Learning and we believe that this toolbar should meet most teaching needs. If you use this toolbar you will be providing students with a consistent experience of SurreyLearn, and will receive all the latest updates. However, we understand that there may be special cases where this toolbar is not appropriate. If you need to change the toolbar, please contact your TEL coordinator and we’ll talk through your options.

Content from my old courses looks odd

Due to the high numbers of old courses, we had to focus on making future courses better rather than revisiting old ones. All your pre-existing content should still be available even if there are formatting issues. If you need your old course to be reformatted for a special reason, please contact your TEL coordinator.

What should I expect after the refresh, is there anything I need to do?

Here are some recommended steps to help you prepare:

1. go to your modules/areas that you look after
  2. look at your thumbnail/banner image. Change this if you wish – guidance is available at the TEL hub
  3. look at your modules/areas to check everything looks OK – if you need help email TEL@surrey.ac.uk
  4. get ready for semester start in your usual way. So, for example, import information from previous modules. Visit the TEL hub for guidance.

Where’s my Content Browser gone?

The Content Browser tool is no longer supported.  This is because it has limitations when used on mobile devices. To mitigate this, we have ensured that the routes to the course materials are now much more prominent and have also added a new search functionality.