英國實習週記💼:菜鳥報到! Placement Diary: Rookies alert!

Hello everyone, I’m finally back for another chapter of my uni life! As promised that I was supposed to update with more placement information during the time back in Taiwan, however I couldn’t make it due to all that Taiwan cuisine and catchups with the old friends! Apologize for the late update, but here I am😉As you can see from the topic, yes this is the brand new series of my placement records! From now on, I will still be answering any questions regarding life in Surrey also everything that happens in my placement period. Please stay tune with the series of articles that I have prepared for y’all☺️

哈囉大家,我終於回來繼續帶給大家我大學生活的新篇章啦!在之前的文章我有答應過大家回台灣之後要繼續分享實習的資訊,但是我真的無法因為各種美食的誘惑還有和老朋友的各種約~抱歉了大家但是我回來了😉如同大家在標題所見,沒錯這就是我帶給大家全新系列的實習紀錄文!從這週開始,我還是會不定時更新關於大學的資訊和小撇步,同時間新系列的文章也會記錄我在實習時所發生的點點滴滴~所以還請大家繼續支持我為大家準備的文章喔☺️

It has been two weeks since I have started my placement, not quite as you guys have expected an intern has been doing, making tea lol. Not at all! Luckily in the company that I have got the job opportunity with, they have been listed out whole training/placement scheme for the placement students. In that case, you are not just sitting there doing nothing or everything, but it does gives out the whole structure of the industry and let you to explore the field that you are interested in. The complete plans for placement is one of the reasons that I chose this company as my placement. So what exactly have they planned for a placement students then? There are 8 main departments throughout the whole project process, in my first month, I got to go into every department each for around 2-3 days to get an overall structure of what this department is doing and get to know the whole process of the business. After the first month, I will get to pick 3 departments that I am interested in and get another 3 months to go through each 3 departments a bit in depth. Finally, after these 3 months, I will then pick a final department to stay for the rest of my placement.

其實距離我開始實習已經過了兩週了,其實不像大部分人所想像的實習生都是在打雜泡茶😅事實上根本沒有!很幸運地在我獲得實習機會的公司內,他們制定了一系列很詳細的訓練計畫給實習生。如此一來你就不會只是坐在那邊沒事做或是打一堆雜,反而能夠了解整個產業的運作和大方向還有讓你慢慢探索你所喜歡的領域。所以他們的實習生計畫到底是怎麼運作的呢?一個專案必須經過8個大部門後才能順利結案,在實習開始的第一個月,我會有機會到各個部門去見習個兩三天,主要就是大致了解這個部門的工作內容還有整個專案進行的流程。一個月過後,我要選擇在見習過程中待過的8個部門之中的3個各待一個月,在這為期3個月的過程中,我會有在各部門中更多實作和參與專案的機會。最後,我會選擇我最有興趣想正式學習的部門度過我剩下的實習生活。

I have to say this is the most detailed job description I have ever seen among all the placement vacancies, already half way in my first month but I am so ready for the rest of the challenges! Guess it is now time to reveal the industry I will be in for a year, people who has seen my OG posts already knew that I am studying Film Production course, but guess what I am not in a production company🤪 I ended up my placement in an industry that I assume most of the people didn’t hear about it before, which is A/V industry. Neither do I have heard of this industry before I apply for it, but basically it is an industry that install and design all different audio and video solutions for the clients. Projects can started from 5k to 5 million so it is actually a grown business although it is not that common. We have clients like FaceBook, HSBC or Netflix, the main thing we do is design their viewing room, conference room and auditoriums. Started from kit purchasing, design, install to maintenance, these are all include in our business.

我必須說這真的是我在找過各種實習職缺時看到最詳細的工作內容,第一個月已經過了一半了,我也越來越期待我接下來會遇到各種不同類型的挑戰!那我想現在應該要跟大家公開我未來一年實習的工作到底是什麼了吧~從一開始就有看我文章的人應該知道我是念影像製作科技的,但是我最後卻不是進入製片或影視傳播公司🤪最後我申請到的實習機會是在一個可能大部分人都沒聽過的A/V產業。其實在我申請這份工作之前,我對這個產業的了解也不是太深,簡單來說,這個產業就是負責幫客戶安裝並設計所有影音有關的產品。各個專案的價值範圍可以從5000到百萬鎊,所以這個產業雖然不普遍不過也正在逐漸成長。我們的客戶包含了FaceBook、匯豐銀行還有Netflix,而我們的主要業務內容就是設計他們的試聽間、會議室還有劇院。從採購、設計、安裝到維護都涵蓋在我們的業務範圍內。

In the first two weeks, I have been through 4 different departments which are PE(Project Engineer), CAD, rack build and rack test. Since it is just an overview of each departments, I didn’t really get the chance to learn the software they used to designed or actually taking part in any projects. What I have been done in the past few weeks was shadowing the manager or team member in each department and they will go through their job description with me to give me the insight of this job. Sounds pretty boring but there is actually a lot of things that I have to learn such as the terms and understand how to read the schematic etc. during their explanation of each job, I got the chance to ask and see their previous completed projects as well, which I will say this does let me understand more about the industry.

在一開始的兩個禮拜內,我已經見習過了四個不同的部門了,分別是PE(Project Engineer), CAD, rack build 和 rack test。因為在這個階段我只是要了解每個部門的工作性質,所以我並沒有真的去學習任何一個他們用來設計的軟體或是參與任何一個專案。而是在一旁見習各個組員或主管他們的工作內容,他們會帶著我介紹他們的之前所做的專案還有讓我大致了解整個部門是如何運作的。聽起來是有點枯燥啦,不過真的有很多東西需要學習,像是一些專有名詞啊還有學會看工程圖這些基本的。在見習的過程,我也可以隨時提問我不懂的或是有機會看到他們之前完成的大型專案,這些提卻加深了我對整個產業的了解也讓我對未來的選則有了一個大致的方向。

I think everyone has got an general idea of what I am doing for my placement up until this point, didn’t expect the introduction would be this long lol, as for the story that happened in each departments, I will put them in the upcoming article! See you next week~

好啦寫到這裡大家應該對我的實習工作有大概的了解吧哈哈~真的是不知不覺就寫了一大段,那麼有關各個部門的故事和內容我就在下週公開給大家囉!下週見~

Mandy x

p.s. Spoiler ahead for next week’s article! 下禮拜內容的劇透圖!