Break week 3

Hey,

Spring break has ended! It is the first day back and it feels a bit weird after four weeks off. However, let me back track to week 3 of break.

I successfully completed my 10th trans-Atlantic flight in the past year in a half since I moved to England! I feel like I am starting to get too comfortable being in an airport 😉 I landed home in the early afternoon and was immediately taken on an adventure to a small town to get a classic American burger and fries. We continued to take a drive around the countryside and eventually ended up back home. My sister then asked when we were going on a hike that day! I had to remind her that I had been up and traveling since before she had gone to bed the night before and that I needed to get some rest. I am getting pretty good at defeating the jet lag. This time back has been my best yet. I just have to try to get myself to stay up until the night and go to sleep on the right schedule. Done wrong, the jet lag battle will never cease.

12976806_10209392990160338_8956367034591752487_o Capture

This trip was rather exciting for me as I was allowed to go speak to my old high school’s college and careers center. I spoke about what it was like to study and live in England to potential students. When I explained the differences in education systems, people started to see England as more than just a great place to explore, but a great place to study. Ill outline some of them now:

1.      All classes, labs, and tutorials are taught by the actual teacher who is often a doctor.

2.      The majority of coursework is graded by the actual teach which means they understand the student’s strengths and weaknesses.

3.      Applying to schools in England require using one system and one application, UCAS, and is very academically focused. There is a single essay about why you want to study your degree and acceptance is based on AP or IB tests. There are no hidden requirements to get in because if you get the right grades you will get into the school.

4.      There are no pre-req classes because you start your degree immediately.

5.      If you pass your classes, you are assured to graduate on time because you are automatically entered into classes you need to take for your degree.

6.      You move through your degree as a cohort, so make a lot of friends in your degree because you all have the same classes.

7.      Majority of the accommodation is single rooms, no roommate, and 50% have an ensuite shower and toilet.

8.      Undergrad degrees are completed in three years with an option placement year in the third year. Masters degrees are finished in only one!

9.      Surrey is renowned for its placement year opportunities. The placement year is a year in industry working on degree relevant and real projects for companies. You will work for 12 months and are often paid. I know someone making around $50,000 during his placement year. The experience is invaluable and sets you apart from the competition.

10.   Sports and clubs are much more inclusive because there are multiple teams for each skill level and are available for almost anything you can think of.

It was great to speak to them about my opportunities and the opportunities that are available abroad. A couple seniors even asked me how to transfer from an American school they had already committed to in order to come to Surrey.

12961348_10209370307553287_5924942678727067426_o 12901287_10209411560824593_6323557773691595506_o

Beyond the talk I gave, I took a road trip up to Canada. We drove through the most epic mountain ranges and cities in the south-west of Canada. I don’t think I’ve been so encircled by snow peaked mountains before. It was great to hang out with my family again after such a long time.

That’s the most of what I got done week 3! I’ll talk about my final week Friday!

Holly