Events Worth Going To

Hey,

With finals still on for another couple weeks, I thought I would share some cool events that you can go to during the rest of the year. There are loads of special English events to go to like Pancake Day and the Henley Royal Regatta. Beyond that, England is an epicenter for different cultures and therefore has loads of special events from different parts of the world like Diwali and Holi Festival. Check these events out! I have been to or will be going to Winter Wonderland, Chinese New Year in London, Henley Royal Regatta, and the Notting Hill Carnival.

September

London Fashion Week

fashionweek

October

The students union hosts a big night at Rubix for Halloween and it is not to be missed. English people tend to dress in scarier costumes than Americans do. My first year I went as a Seahawk and the rest of the group all went as zombies.

November

Bonfire Night in Lewes

Bonfire societies parade through the streets of Lewes in Sussex, on November 5, 2014, during the traditional bonfire night celebrations. Bonfire Night is related to the ancient festival of Samhain, the Celtic New Year. Processions held across the South of England culminate in Lewes on November 5, commemorating the memory of the seventeen Protestant martyrs. Thousands of people attend the parade through the narrow streets until the evening comes to an end with the burning of an effigy, or 'guy,' usually representing Guy Fawkes, who died in 1605 after an unsuccessful attempt to blow up The Houses of Parliament. AFP PHOTO / JUSTIN TALLISJUSTIN TALLIS/AFP/Getty Images

Diwali in Leicester

dwiali

December

Festival of Lights in Longleat

longleat2.jpg ????????????????????????????????????

Winter Wonderland in London

wonderland wonderland2

January

New Years in London

newyears

February

Pancake Day in London

pancake day

Chinese New Year in Manchester, Nottingham, Liverpool, or Birmingham

chinese

March

St. Patrick’s Day in Ireland

stpatricks

Holi Day in London, Manchester, Birmingham, or Belfast

holi

April

Visit the Globe Theater in London or Stratford-upon-Avon (Shakespear’s hometown) for William Shakespear’s Birthday

stratfordglobe

May

May Day in Oxford

mayday

June

Henley Royal Regatta

henley

July

Pride in Brighton and Hove

pride

Wimbledon Tennis Championships

wimbledone

August

Notting Hill Carnival in London

nottinghill notting2

Robin Hood Festival in Edwinstowe

robinhood

Bristol International Balloon Fiesta

balooons

I would like to go to the Bristol International Balloon Fiesta and the Robin Hood Festival next. New events come up all the time and I try to find the time to go to them. The more I can immerse myself the better. I am going to end my four years a well rounded English woman 😉

Holly