General Questions

Hey!

I recently got an email about some questions that probably most of you coming to England will ask yourself. I have these questions asked to me all the time, so I figure I may as well write a blog about it!

What did you do about a cell phone? Take your old one and get a new SIM and a UK plan? Buy one over there and get a new plan? If so, what are the best service providers? Or perhaps it’s best to get a US international plan? 

I decided to get a UK SIM and keep my old phone because I would get an English number which is simpler to use and then I didn’t need to get an international plan. I did end up getting an international plan as a part of my family plan in the USA, but the downside is that my battery is drained when I use my USA SIM in the UK.  In order to get a UK SIM card, I had to get my phone unlocked. I had to call T-mobile and ask them to send me a code to unlock my phone. I first had to pay off the cost of my phone. They sometimes say that you have to have your phone a number of months before unlocking it, so look into that before getting a new phone. There are several phone providers, but I went to Tescos and use their service. My plan costs me about £12.50 a month for essentially unlimited texting, calling, and data. The added bonus of using Tescos is I get points on my Tesco Clubcard each month that I can use to redeem rewards. I haven’t really looked into other plans, but I haven’t had a problem with Tescos before. The only thing is that I can’t send picture messages without getting an extra charge, but I haven’t looked into getting that included in my plan.

Did you have to get a new UK bank account? If so, do you have any insight on which banks are best (most convenient ATM’s around campus, etc) 

I suggest using Santander. It is located on campus near the library so it is very convenient. The people who work there are familiar with both student and international accounts and needs. As my neither family or I have recent history in the UK, I was unable to open a standard account, but they have an international student account that works perfectly fine. The only difference, from what I remember, is I have to pay a £5 monthly account charge. It has taken me about two years to get a standard account. I really enjoy Santander. The people are so nice! The same person who opened my first account is still there and greets me every time I go in.

Cards in the UK have Chip and Pin capabilities. My bank in the USA has just started to introduce them, so you may have experience with them already. In case you don’t, the card has a chip implanted on the front that is read when inserting the card usually into the bottom of a card reader as opposed to swiping. The chip adds another layer of security which is always a bonus. There are plenty of ATMs around campus and town that aren’t specific to a bank, the only one that is specific on campus is Santander.

Read more: https://blogs.surrey.ac.uk/usablog/2015/08/22/quick-finances-overview/

Health insurance – did you keep US health insurance in addition to registering for the NHS? I’m not sure if I should stay on mine in case I get sick or something? Do you know how I would go about getting prescriptions transferred? 

I still have my health insurance at home because I am on my parent’s plan. I have registered for the doctor on campus and receive care there as well. The NHS is a great thing because it is free and available to all. However, it is notorious for long wait times and in order to see a specialist you have to go through your regular doctor first and then get a recommendation. The process just can take a long time compared to when I am at home. When I go home to America, I get a bit of a “tune up”. I go to the dentist and go to the specialist doctors if I need to. Everyday things, the NHS is great for. You can book an appointment only two weeks in advance for the doctor’s office on campus and it fills up quick. In terms of getting prescriptions transferred, I don’t think it is possible. I haven’t tried, but when I wanted to get my back checked out, they wouldn’t even look at the x-rays I had done in America. I don’t think they allow it because doctors in America aren’t certified to practice in the UK and vice versa. However, it is worth asking when you get here anyway.

Not a question, but any other advice you would have (anything you wish you’d known or thought of before moving)

I would just say make the most of it.

1. Get involved. We have hundreds of societies, clubs, and sport teams to join and try new things. England is much more open when it comes to sports. You don’t need to have ever done it before to get on the team. Many just have different skill level sub-teams that you will be placed into. That is the best way to meet people.
  2. Travel. Europe is on your doorstep. Visit every country you can and see the world. Now is the best opportunity to get an understanding of the rest of the world and see what is beyond America’s borders. Within England’s own border, there is so much to see. I have seen more than most English people have seen and I still have half of the UK to explore. You can’t find anything else like it anywhere in the world.
  3. Talk to everyone. I have met so many people from dozens of countries around the world. It is absolutely fascinating to hear about where they are from and why they are in England. It is such a direct way to hear about everyday life in other countries. I would never have met so many people if I stayed in America.
  4. Embrace it. England has its stereotypical moments, but it is an incredibly diverse and interesting place. What people do here is not what people do at home. How people think here is not how we think at home. To get the most out of your time here, you need to live as the locals do. Go out for a meal in a pub, go to a club, listen to grime music, participate in the banter, get involved in the politics of the UK, be English.
  5. Just enjoy your time here. It is a once in a lifetime opportunity that will teach you so many life lessons while also giving you an incredible education.

Living in England was nothing like what I thought it would be. It is so much better. I get home sick still and you should expect that, but I would never trade this experience. Surround yourself with people you like and the home sickness will fade. I miss England when I go home. I’ve created a new home and a new family and you should do the same. It isn’t always easy, but always worth it.

If you have any more questions email me 🙂

Holly

P.S.

I couldn’t understand loads of people when I got here because there is a lot of slang. I point out some of these words in this blog and some other random differences about America and England at the bottom. Take a read:

Your Personal English to “American” Translation Guide