The 7th International Conference on Health Informatics (HEALTHINF), 2014

By Po-Chou Liang

Sponsored by the Institute for Systems and Technologies of Information, Control and Communication (INSTICC),  the International Conference on Health Informatics (HEALTHINF) is part of the International Joint Conference on Biomedical Engineering Systems and Technologies (BIOSTEC), which is composed of five co-located conferences, each with its own theme, including Health Informatics, bio-devices, bio-imaging, bio-informatics models and bio-signals. The HEALTHINF 2014 in conjunction with the other four events under BIOSTEC 2014 was held in Angers, France on 3-6 March 2014 and chaired by Marta Bienkiewicz, TUM, Technische Universitat Munchen, Germany.

The main purpose of the HEALTHINF 2014 was to bring together researchers and practitioners interested in the application of information and communication technologies (ICT) to healthcare and medicine so as to facilitate discussions and idea exchanges. Research work presented at the HEALTHINF 2014 included 14 full papers, 28 short papers and 33 posters. There were also five keynote lectures, given by professors, researchers and physicians, and two technical tutorials for all the participants of BIOSTEC 2014. During this four-day event, I had the great opportunity not only to present a full paper, titled “Cost-effective Design of Real-time Home Healthcare Telemonitoring”, which was co-authored by Prof Paul Krause and me, but also to receive valuable feedback from others. Meanwhile, I also had chances to exchange ideas and share opinions with a couple of attendees from different backgrounds, such as professors of computer science, research students of electronic engineering, and physicians in practice.

Personally, I found that there were a number of studies very similar to our work, in terms of main focuses, system designs or implementations. For example, “Threshold-based Fall Detection on Smart Phones“, a short paper presented by Prof. Dr. Bettina Schnor from the University of Potsdam, Germany, and “mDROID – An Affordable Android based mHealth System”, a full paper presented by Ms Anju Kansal from Indian Institute of Technology Delhi. This represented a great opportunity for us to seek future cooperation with other researchers.

All in all, submitting and presenting a paper at a conference like this one was really helpful for my research. More specifically, the feedback from paper reviewers and other participants, as well as experiences shared by other presenters, could all serve as good references for me to further improve my work in the future. Finally, I would like to thank my supervisor Prof Paul Krause, Head of Department Prof Anthony TS Ho, Department Administrator Mrs Myers and Assistant Administrator Miss Turnbull for their great support in making all this happen.