My experience of industry preparations as a final year BA (Hons) Actor-Musician student

by Kacey Wadge

April 13, 2024

Kacey Wadge is in her final year on the BA (Hons) Actor-Musician course at the Guildford School of Acting (GSA). She recently played Margaret White in GSA’s production of Carrie.

My Training

Over the past three years, my journey at drama school has been immensely rewarding and transformative. Through dedicated training in acting, singing, dance, and my individual instruments, (flute, piccolo and drums) I’ve learned and worked on so many different styles of theatre and techniques that I can take further into my career. Apart from this, I’ve learned invaluable skills in teamwork. Collaborating with fellow students in rehearsals and productions has fostered a sense of camaraderie and taught me the importance of trust and mutual support.

Photo credit: Steve Gregson

Industry Preparations and Experiences

At Guildford School of Acting, I’ve been fortunate to gain extensive exposure to external directors and composers through engaging workshops and collaborative projects. At the beginning of this year, some of the Actor-Musicians had the opportunity to be part of the ‘Benjamin Button’ musical Workshop and now, the professional company is having a West End transfer later on in 2024. These experiences have broadened my perspective and enriched my understanding of the industry and I was able to make connections for my future career. Throughout my second year I was lucky to be part of the GSA Singers, which has provided me with invaluable performance opportunities in various venues near Guildford and even in London, including iconic venues like Cadogan Hall for West End Does in 2022 and 2023. This term, I was lucky to be one of the chosen students for the Stephen Sondheim Society Award, and now taken on further live rounds, which has been an amazing opportunity so far!

My Future Projects

This year we have one more public performance left which will be the play Alfie by Bill Naughton, we also have our Agent feedback day which will be held at the Soho Theatre and a day at the National Theatre in London which is very exciting! Apart from having opportunities with Guildford School of Acting, the university allows us to be part of other things. Just like last year, this year I have the opportunity to create a new show with the National Youth Music Theatre called ‘Platform’, which is all about discovering emerging talent in the industry, Directed by Hannah Chiswick, Movement director by Matt Cole and Musical Direction by David Randall. 

Photo credit: Steve Gregson

My Advice

As a student from a small Island called Malta, it’s so hard to find your feet in a completely new place and a whole different culture, though my main advice is to always be yourself! There are always going to be challenges but try to find time to do things you enjoy whether it’s spending time with your friends or doing something you love, as this keeps you going and keeps you working hard!