My Placement Year at Pfizer UK

Hi, my name is Subomi, and I am about to complete my Masters year as Chemical Engineering Student after completing a placement year at Pfizer R&D UK. My role at Pfizer was a Reliability Project Engineer Undergraduate. It was heavily focused on the sustainability of the Sandwich site, where I worked with the Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) team to implement long term projects with the aim of reducing the energy consumption across the site.

I was provided training on how to access and use the platform for logging the site’s monthly energy usage. This data was then used in audits and for quarterly campaigns to ensure consumption is on track with annual targets.

Life on Placement

Each workday presented itself differently. This placement gave me the opportunity to develop my organisation skills, as I was mainly in-charge of my calendar for the week. Besides, my weekly tasks of energy data collection and reporting, I organised meetings with contractors for other projects and scheduled work sessions based on the availability of all parties involved.

This also really helped my communication and networking as I was the one to approach people and ask for help on where to start a project or how a specific task was done. I was able to put to practice knowledge from my degree, helping my manager edit Piping and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&ID) to reflect changes in processes. In doing so, I was provided 3 days training on AutoCAD, which I am thankful for as I had not previously used the software, but can now carry the skill forward in my Master’s year and future career roles.

The organisational changes in Pfizer’s Pharmaceutical Sciences Small Molecules (PSSM) department meant me branching out beyond my team to assist other departments with their ongoing projects. I also saw first-hand how a pharmaceutical R&D site is decommissioned, having been invited to sit in the senior leadership meetings.

Luckily for me my placement was based in Kent, which meant I could live at home and pushed me to getting my driver’s license. A skill which is preferable to most employers.

My Advice for Future Placement Students

Make sure you begin checking applications for placements from August of the year prior to when you would start your placement. For example, my placement started September 2023 and I began looking August 2022. Take advantage of the University’s resources, such as; careers fairs, Surrey Pathfinder (turn on your notifications), and the careers and employability team. However, if you don’t secure a placement early just keep trying, the application process is open until August.

Most importantly, once you begin your new role don’t be afraid to ask questions when you’re unsure. The organisation will most likely have an early careers team to support you as well as your line managers.

Finally, be sure to mingle and build your network. It is daunting to enter a new environment, but you could be offered a permanent role after graduation if you make a good impression.