Trip to the Theatre!

Hi guys!

In today’s blog I wanted to share with you my experiences about an enrichening and exciting activity which unfortunately I´ve not done as much as I´d like to…Going to the theatre!

A play which MUST be in your “to-watch” list – especially if you like mystery and suspense – is “The Mousetrap”, Agatha Christie’s iconic play. I have watched it twice, and I am considering watching it again! This play was first premiered in 1952, and it has been running continuously in St. Martins Theatre (near Piccadilly circus in London) since 1974, making the longest-running play in the West End. The intimate setting of the theatre and the spot-on set design and costumes certainly enhances the experience, since you feel fully immersed in the action. I can guarantee you will feel as if you were solving the mystery yourselves!

On the other hand, if you are in the mood for a night of pure entertainment and leave the theatre with a smile on your face, heading to the Duchess Theatre in London’s West End to see “The Play That Goes Wrong” is worth considering! This play is simply hilarious, and the plot is exactly about what you are thinking: a group of amateur actors produce a play, and the performance turns out to be absurdly awful! However, the plot of the fictional play is structured like a real murder mystery, with a nice plot building to a satisfying end.

Travelling to both theatres is quite easy from Guildford. You just need to take a 35minutes train to London Waterloo Station, and then walk for about 25 and 15 minutes to St. Martins and Duchess Theatre, respectively. A train ticket including return will typically cost about 10GBP provided you have the Railcard. The tickets to the play are not expensive either, you can find them for about 25GBP each.

There are theatres in Guildford too, such as the Electric Theatre, G live or the Yvonne Arnaud Theatre, albeit I have personally not attended any yet! Though they are on my to-go list.

St. Martin’s Theatre as seen from the outside.
St. Martin’s Theatre as seen from the inside.

Tip of the day: Keep the ticket entrance if it is your first time attending a venue to watch a play. It will evoke lovely memories!