Let it Snow!

IT’S SNOWING!!!

As one might expect, this is very exciting news for a South African. I have never had the experience of snow in my back garden, so you can imagine my enthusiasm when I woke up on Wednesday morning and saw frost on my room’s skylight.

The trees outside my room had little patches of white¬†beneath¬†them and I walked down the road with magical flecks of cold, white dust drifting lightly around me. I bounded into class that morning¬†and¬†my classmates just chuckled and shook their heads at my awe-struck¬†exclamations that it was snowing outside (which¬†I couldn’t help but do¬†every time I looked out of the window). I couldn’t understand why they weren’t as enthralled¬†as I was!

Three days of snow on, I’m beginning to get it. My enthusiasm has started to ebb as I realise what snow in the UK means for everyday life.

First of all: IT IS FREEZING.

Literally.

I¬†am wrapped up¬†in¬†so many layers that I could honestly probably fall down a flight of stairs and get up at the bottom unharmed. I waddle to and from class¬†in the minus-something degrees as fast as my ‘bubble-wrapped-teddybear’ legs can carry me. The only part of my body left uncovered is¬†my eyes and I have, for the first time in my life,¬†wondered¬†whether eyelashes can freeze¬†together.

The second problem that comes with the cold white dust is public transport (or the lack thereof). This dawned on me quite quickly when I set off to watch a show after class on Wednesday evening and realised that I might not be able to get home from London afterwards. I managed to get back (hooray) Рbut not without a number of delays and cancelled trains.
My friends here seem to just accept with a shrug that¬†transport¬†grinds to a halt when it starts snowing.¬†Now. I don’t mean to criticise, but it seems absurd that things stop working when it snows, in a country…where it snows!! Or so I thought, until I heard that snow is a relatively¬†uncommon occurrence in England. Apparently it only snows for a few days every couple of years and it’s very unusual for it to snow at all in Surrey. I mean, not as unusual as it is in South Africa, but definitely not as¬†common¬†as it would be in, say, parts of¬†Scandinavia¬†or Canada.

So I’ve decided to forgive England for this idiosyncrasy. The bad thing is that many things get cancelled as a result of people not being able to get from A to B. But the plus-side is, you can camp out in a warm pub with friends for hours¬†or have an excuse to stay cuddled up in bed with hot chocolate and a book.

Let it snow! It’s beautiful to¬†see the world draped in a soft white carpet…

as long as you’re watching from inside a warm room.