One-Year Experience in a Diverse Student Accommodation

Living in a culturally diverse environment offers a unique opportunity for personal growth and cross-cultural understanding. Over the past year, my experience in a student accommodation provided not only an exposure to various global traditions but also created meaningful connections that made my academic and social life deeper and more interesting. This blog reflects on the strong influence of shared experiences in that setting.

• A Year of Cultural Exchange and Friendship
  • Cooking Across Cultures
  • A Final Memory: Our Trip to London
A picture from the London trip introduced at the end of this blog

A Year of Cultural Exchange and Friendship

This past year in my student accommodation was nothing short of incredible. Living in a female-only flat with six flatmates including me from diverse cultural backgrounds was truly a unique experience. Among the six of us, two were from the same country, while the rest came from different countries, each bringing their own cultural uniqueness to our flat. Despite our diverse backgrounds, we quickly bonded and created a supportive and friendly community. The experience of living with such a diverse group has made me appreciate the value of cultural exchange and deepened my understanding of the world. I feel incredibly fortunate to have been surrounded by such wonderful people during my time in this accommodation.

Cooking Across Cultures

One of the most culturally interesting aspects of our time together was our shared love for cooking and exploring each other’s traditions. We regularly cooked meals from our respective countries and shared them with one another. This not only allowed us to taste and appreciate different cuisines but also significantly improved our cooking skills. I learned to prepare dishes I never would have tried on my own with full focus on it, and it was incredibly satisfying to see my cooking skills improve throughout the year. These cooking exchanges brought us closer together and made our flat feel like a home, filled with warmth and delicious scents.

A Final Memory: Our Trip to London

As our year together drew to a close, we wanted to create one final memory that would encapsulate the bond we had formed. We decided to take a trip to London in order to celebrate our friendship. The trip was everything we hoped it would be—walking through the streets, visiting iconic landmarks, and simply enjoying each other’s company. This experience was a valuable reminder of how much we had grown together over the past year. Despite the minor challenges and occasional disagreements that come with communal living, I look back on this year with great gratitude. The friendships I made and the experiences we shared have left a lasting impact on me, and I will always cherish the memories of our time together.

Thank you very much for reading this far. I hope you will have a lovely day.