A Year in Review: Highlights from My Time at the University of Surrey

As my academic year at the University of Surrey approaches its end, I would like to take a moment to reflect on some of the highlights and memorable experiences that have shaped my time here. From academics to cultural exchange and social life, the past year has been transformative in many ways. Here are some key moments that made this year at Surrey truly unforgettable.

List of Contents

• Academic Highlights
  • Cultural Experience
  • Social Life
  • Personal Growth

Academic Highlights

One of the most significant differences I noticed between my time at Surrey and my experiences back home, Japan, was the focus on practical, hands-on learning. The coursework here is more aligned with real-world applications, especially in my digital marketing course, which not only suits my learning style but also proves incredibly valuable for my future career. The classes challenged me, but I found that the projects and assignments were all experiences that I could build on. They were not just academic exercises to get through — each assignment taught me something meaningful, and I feel confident that these lessons will stick with me for years to come.

Additionally, I was fortunate to study under the instructions of professors from diverse backgrounds, in terms of gender, age, and nationality. This variety exposed me to different perspectives, making my education at Surrey much more comprehensive. Learning in such an inclusive environment broadened my understanding of global issues and opened my mind to new ideas.

While none of the coursework was easy, I found it rewarding to apply the skills I learned in class to tackle the challenges. I can say that the lessons here have left a lasting impression. Each assignment feels like a stepping stone toward my future goals.

Cultural Experience

One of the things that stood out to me most about living in the UK, especially in a university setting like Surrey, is how many people from different countries and backgrounds I have encountered. The cultural diversity here has been eye-opening and an excellent opportunity for growth. Rather than jumping to conclusions or making assumptions about other cultures, I have learned to ask questions and try to understand the reasoning behind certain customs and traditions. This practice has made me more open-minded and willing to embrace new ways of thinking.

I have written about my experiences living in student accommodation in a previous blog, but it is worth mentioning again how enriching it was to engage in daily cultural exchanges with my flatmates. Living alongside people from different parts of the world made me realise how essential it is to understand other cultures when sharing spaces. This experience has been incredibly valuable, not just for the sake of learning about other cultures but also in terms of personal development. The small, everyday interactions I had with my international friends were some of the most meaningful aspects of my time here.

Additionally, I had the opportunity to explore the rich history of Guildford, the town where the university is located. Visiting Guildford Castle and the local museum allowed me to explore aspects of British history and culture that were completely new to me. It deepened my appreciation for the area and provided a unique contrast to the history and heritage I’m familiar with back home.

Social Life

Socially, my time at the University of Surrey was fulfilling. I joined a dance society for the entire year and participated in a choir for one term. Dance has always been a passion of mine, so being part of the dance society was the perfect way to relieve stress and maintain my skills while juggling academic responsibilities. I also finally got to try ballet, something I had wanted to do for years. This experience pushed me to discover new aspects of myself and gave me a new refreshing challenge outside of my academic pursuits.

Choir was a completely different but equally enriching experience. I had never been part of a choir before, so learning from a professional singing instructor and meeting so many talented choir members was a weekly highlight. It was refreshing to spend time with such a diverse group of people, all united by a shared passion for music. The time I spent in the choir broadened my social circle and gave me new insights into the power of collaboration.

Throughout the year, I made friends from a wide range of countries and age groups, thanks to classes, club activities, and Welcome Week. Forming communities across different cultures was not something I had much experience with before, but the welcoming atmosphere at Surrey made it easy. I’m incredibly grateful for the kindness and openness of the people I have met here as they made my time at the University of Surrey much more enjoyable and memorable.

Personal Growth

Looking back on this past year, I can see significant personal growth in ways I had not anticipated. Living abroad and adapting to a new environment brought challenges that pushed me to develop resilience, independence, and self-awareness. Being away from my home country made me realise the importance of stepping outside my comfort zone, and I quickly learned that true growth happens when you face unfamiliar situations.

The diversity of the people I met, the new perspectives I was exposed to, and the various cultural practices I encountered helped me better understand who I am and what I value. I found myself more open to new experiences, from trying different types of food to participating in activities I had never considered before. This openness extended beyond just practical experiences. I began to reflect on my personal beliefs and worldviews, realising that embracing diversity also meant becoming more understanding and compassionate.

One of the most impactful lessons was learning to balance multiple aspects of my life. Managing academic work, participating in extracurricular activities, and maintaining a social life taught me time management and the importance of prioritising what truly matters. I realised the value of setting aside time for personal reflection, self-care, and pursuing interests that bring me joy.

Perhaps the most significant aspect of my personal growth was gaining confidence in my ability to survive and enjoy new environments. Starting the year with some uncertainty, I was not sure how I would adjust to life in a different country. But by the end, I found myself more confident, adaptable, and excited for future challenges. My time at the University of Surrey has shown me that I am capable of much more than I initially thought, and I now feel ready to take on whatever comes next. 

In conclusion, my year at the University of Surrey has been an unforgettable blend of academic challenges, cultural enrichment, social fulfilment, and personal growth. Each experience has contributed to my development, and I look forward to carrying these lessons with me into the future.

Thank you very much for reading this far and reading my blog entries if you have. I hope you will have a lovely day. If you are a student reading this, I hope you will enjoy your upcoming student life.