New Artwork in support of Race Equality

Student Adaugo Okenwa has won the University of Surrey artwork competition to have her artwork on display outside of the Hive on campus. Adaugo shares her inspiration the work here.

Adaugo Okenwa’s winning artwork

How do you feel on being the winner of the University of Surrey Student Artwork competition in support of anti – racism?
I was thrilled when I got the news! I came to the UK from Nigeria about 5 years ago, leaving my family and friends. My confidence in creating art took a bit of a knock as I was seeing all the other work out there plus coming into a society where I was very much in a minority. In the beginning, I thought there was no one in my A level boarding school that looked like me. I felt it was important to start creating things again and with a lot of support and encouragement from my parents, siblings, house mistress, Mrs Newman and my art teacher, Tom Ward. I decided that I needed to put myself out there a bit more and start creating art again (and not feel daunted by all the great work I was seeing). Also, I was not seeing lots of artwork which featured black people in the UK, so I felt it was important to start creating things again. By being brave and bringing my identity and heritage as a black woman into my art, I hope to educate, inspire and share my story to connect with others.

What were your inspirations for the piece?
I have always been interested in being creative and in art. I wanted to create something that represented the beauty of Africa ā€“ from a roots & culture perspective. I wanted to show not just Nigeria (where I come from) but Africa with all the things that make the continent beautiful.

How would you like people to engage with the piece?
The contrast in colours and bold outline was all about bringing attention to all the elements I have included. I want people to see the independence and resilience of the people of Africa. I want to honour my family links and those Iā€™m close to in my heritage including my mother who sets me a great example in her courage, vibrancy and support for me studying away from home. Africa has a large diverse range of fabric, culture, conversation evoking a wealth of feeling ā€“ which I wanted to try to explore in my piece.