From the tiny isles of Maldives to Surrey!

Hi, I’m Inash! I’m studying for a MSc in Water and Environmental Engineering at the University of Surrey and I’m very excited and proud to be one out of the two very first Maldivian ambassadors at the University of Surrey!

This is my very first time in the UK, but I don’t feel out of place here at all. Growing up, Enid Blyton was my favourite author and the prospect of seeing and exploring what she has described so vividly in her books was very exciting to me and one of the reasons I was drawn to the UK and Surrey in particular. Being here surrounded by the vast beautiful English countryside, most charming cobbled streets, castles and cathedrals feels like I’m once again submerging myself in a storybook. It feels almost like visiting an old friend and I’ve been loving it so far!

View of a lake in Surrey Research Par
View of a lake in Surrey Research Park

Of course, there are things I’m still getting used to. I’ve never lived in a country that didn’t have a hot tropical climate. While I was mentally preparing myself for the lower temperatures even before I came here, physically getting used to it has been a challenge. I’m still building myself a wardrobe appropriate for the UK weather, making new friends, easing myself back into academia, dealing with homesickness all while trying to make the best out of my year of study here. The support I’ve gotten from the university has been wonderful in the adjusting process.

One thing I’ve particularly been enjoying is taking long walks and trying to find the most picturesque spots around campus. There are some really great spots around Manor Park I’ve discovered. Perhaps, I’ll share a bit more about this in a following blog post.

Enjoying an afternoon walk in Guildford
Enjoying an afternoon walk in Guildford

Anyways, it’s been great writing to you, and I look forward to sharing my journey at University of Surrey you and telling you all about it soon!

Until next time,

Inash