British stereotypes – true or nah?

Hi everyone! For my second article I thought I would talk about British stereotypes I’ve seen in the media and how my experience so far has proven some of them to be completely false.

This is my first time in the UK, and I arrived excited to meet new people, explore new places and cultures (and get a higher education of course)! I was curious about the British, their lifestyle, culture and how it would differ from what I’ve experiences, and what I’ve seen in the media. There are many British stereotypes floating out there, most of them originating from Hollywood and possibly tainted by the American viewpoint and lens. However, I came here with an open heart and curious to see how my experience would differ from my expectations.

I’ve been here for around two months now but even in this short time there are a couple of UK stereotypes that in my experience have proven to be absolutely false!

1. Talking about the weather

This might be the biggest stereotype about the British out there but for me I have literally never heard anyone talk about it. One time a fellow student and I had a long wait at the bus stop and to make the time go by faster I thought I would initiate a conversation with them by talking about the weather. They actually looked perplexed when I did and since then I have never tried to initiate a conversation with weather. Interestingly enough nobody has tried to initiate a conversation with me about the weather either.

2. The British being glum and moody

People say the weather in the UK is so gloomy that it seeps into people’s moods as well. People say the British are glum because it’s rainy all the time. But that hasn’t been true at all! Majority of the time, people always greet you with a smile, a bright Hiya! Or an Y’alright? Of course, anywhere in the world you’re bound to meet a grumpy person or two at one point, but most of the time, people here are enthusiastic, excited, and full of life!

3. People being reserved and not showing emotion

People talk about the British being closed off, having a stiff upper lip, and not showing any emotions. But I think the people here are super open, inviting, and transparent with their emotions. What I have loved seeing particularly, is how open everyone here is about mental health. Coming from a South Asian culture, talking about mental health and issues have always had a negative stigma around it, even though it has slowly been improving, particularly with the younger generations. So, seeing such open conversations about mental health and the myriad of support service for it at the university has been so refreshing.

4. Limited food options and bland British food

I grew up in a Maldivian household where every meal starts with frying onions, garlic, ginger, curry leaves and chili in oil. We’re liberal with our spices and we love it. The version of British food shown in the media is however the opposite of it. Before coming here, I had heard that British food was bland and boring. I was afraid I would have to eat unseasoned beans on toast throughout my whole degree.

British food memes. Source

Real life in the UK however took me by complete surprise. There are so many food options here! Whether its little Greek carts selling wonderfully spiced souvlaki or the famous Youngs Kitchen on campus which has multiple authentic Asian dishes, there’s something for every taste palette. For more information about the food at University of Surrey, check out other blogs here. While I may never become a huge fan of mushy peas or bangers and mash, I am coming to realize that there is something comforting and homey about a Sunday roast.

These are just some stereotypes about the British that I find to be absolutely false! Of course, my experience and someone else’s experience and perspective might be different. If you have heard any stereotypes about the British that you find to be false, feel free to leave a comment down below!

Until next time,

Inash