Snow,snow and snow!

Hello!

Because in the previous blog I gathered some tips to prepare against and make the most of the rain, in today’s blog I wanted to write about the snow from a similar perspective. Snow can be a magical and exciting time of year, but it also requires a bit of preparation and planning. Here are a few tips for making the most of the snowy season:

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is image-7.png
Landscape view of the lake, University of Surrey.
  1. Dress warmly. Layering is key to staying warm in the snow. Start with a moisture-wicking base layer to keep your skin dry, add a warm insulation layer for extra warmth, and top it off with a waterproof and breathable outer layer. Remember to wear warm socks, gloves, and a hat to keep your extremities warm as well.
  • Invest in a good pair of winter boots. Good boots are essential for keeping your feet dry and warm in the snow. Make sure they have a good grip on the sole to prevent slips and falls. They should be made of waterproof materials so that you will be able to trudge through the snow with ease.
  • Get your car ready for winter. Cold temperatures and snowy weather can take a toll on your car, so it’s important to prepare it for the harsh conditions. Make sure your windshield wipers and headlights are in good working condition. Heavy snow is not common in Guildford so there is no need (I think) to keep a set of snow chains or winter tires in your car.
  • Plan winter activities ahead. There are plenty of fun winter activities to enjoy like skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, and even ice fishing. There is no need of booking for these activities. Last year, we used the toilet lid as a sled to make the most of the steep terrain at “The Mount”! Unfortunately, I did not take the phone with me so there is no image or video to prove it ☹.
  • Take advantage of the snow’s natural beauty. Snow transforms the landscape into a winter wonderland, and it’s a great time to go for a walk or hike. Take in the scenery and snap some photos, or even try your hand at snow photography.
  • Stay safe. Snow and ice can make roads and sidewalks slippery, so it’s important to take extra care when traveling. Slow down when driving, and wear proper footwear when walking outside to prevent falls. Be mindful of your surroundings, especially in the darkness and during low visibility.
  • Make a snowman or snow fort. Building a snowman or a snow fort is a classic winter activity that is fun for all ages. The first time that I saw snow in my life was on campus, in February 2019. I was so excited that I ran outside to make my first snowman…. only to realize that I actually did not know how to make one! It’s not that obvious that you need to roll a small snow sphere for it to become large… at least if you are native from the Canary Islands!
Picture taken a couple of seconds after seeing snow for the first time in my life!
Picture of a snowman made by a friend and myself. The shot was unfortunately taken once the snowman got a little muddy!
  • Have a warm and cosy inside. When the snow is falling and it’s cold outside, there’s nothing better than coming home to a warm and cosy place. Stock up on blankets, candles, and hot chocolate to make your home as comfortable as possible.

Snow is a unique and beautiful time of year, but it can also be challenging. By preparing properly and having a plan, you can stay safe and enjoy all the fun and beauty that the snowy season has to offer. Remember, take advantage of all the great activities, be mindful of safety, and don’t forget to enjoy the beauty that the snow brings.

Tip of the day: If you make a Snowman, take a picture, and send it to the University of Surrey Instagram account. They might post it!