University of Surrey Clearing experience

My Clearing experience

On the morning itself, I remember waking up very early and feeling quite nervous to be changing my plans. After all my research into my course and the University of Surrey, I was confident that it was the best decision for me. The Clearing team at Surrey were so friendly and helpful. They guided me through the process very well. They put me in touch with the head of GSA (Guildford School of Acting) and arranged an interview, so that they could set me on the right path.

Why I decided to apply through Clearing

I initially applied for the BA Acting course at GSA. When I was put on the reserve list, I decided to take a look on the University of Surrey website to see if there were any other creative subjects that would suit me. This was how I discovered the BA Applied and Contemporary Theatre course, which had just been launched at the time. I had an instinct that this would be a better fit for me, so I decided to apply through Clearing.

What attracted me to the University of Surrey

Many of my friends are students and graduates of either GSA or the University of Surrey. They have such positive accounts of the staff, the Student Union, and their societies. The campus itself is beautiful and after visiting, I felt that Surrey was a natural choice for me.

How I felt when I was offered a place through Clearing

More than anything I felt calm. Applying for university and drama school is an uncertain time and I was glad that I could finally relax and prepare for the start of term. I remember feeling such a sense of pride in myself and I couldn’t wait to get started.

Advice to anyone going through Clearing

If you are considering applying for the University of Surrey, I would encourage you to read as many student testimonials as possible. I would also say there really is no better way to find the right place for you than to visit the campus. I have worked as a student helper on several open days, and they are a fantastic way to chat face to face with students and staff.

Before I went through Clearing I imagined it would be a stressful experience. I would advise prospective students to trust the process and the Clearing team at Surrey. Feel proud of yourself for following your instincts and be confident that everything will work out for the best.

How Surrey has helped me to achieve my goals

Surrey’s Global Graduate Award allows students to study a wide range of subjects alongside our degrees, including a selection of modern languages. In my first year I studied Russian, which was absolutely fascinating. As a mature student living off-campus this module also gave me the opportunity to bond with students from across the university.

In my third year of study, I will embark on a Professional Training Year to focus on creating theatre projects for the community and teaching at higher education level. The staff at GSA have changed my life and enabled me to develop my confidence as a professional and as an individual.

My time at Surrey

So far my time at Surrey has flown by. There is such a strong community feel at GSA and I have made wonderful friendships. Throughout the year there are plenty of student shows to see which is usually how I spend my spare evenings. On the Applied and Contemporary Theatre course, we’re encouraged to develop our performance skills and write and produce our own work. This keeps me and my course mates very busy, but in the best possible way. Spending the last two years in such a creative environment has been so freeing for me and I am really looking forward to the next two years.