Returning to University after placement year!

Hi everyone!

It’s been almost a year since I’ve written a blog but it’s good to be back!  I completed my placement year in July 2016 with RWE Supply & Trading, a German energy trading company and now am back at Surrey University to complete my final year in BSc Economics and Finance. I would recommend each and every student to embark on a placement year and am very happy to answer any questions you may have regarding this.

Today’s blog is going to be about my experience of settling back into University since beginning my placement year in July 2015. I definitely feel like a fresher this time around even though I’m finally a senior which has been a strange feeling. A lot of changed around University since I left; namely that Chancellor no longer exists. However, it has now been converted into the Front Room which I must say is a great space for students! There’s lots of entertainment such as a pool table, board games as well as a play station. The front room also comes with water dispensers and a microwave which makes it easy for students who have packed lunches.  I myself tend to hang out at the Front Room as it’s got a nice atmosphere and the furniture reminds me very much of Alice in Wonderland.

After living in Hazel Farm and private accommodation during my last 3 years, I’m thrilled to be living on campus for my final year. It’s definitely the best option and it’s super convenient to get to everything. I love that I no longer need to wake up at 7.30 for a 9am lecture but instead can roll out of bed and be in class in 5 minutes! It’s great to live on campus because you get to experience campus living on an entirely different level. There’s never dull moment as there’s always some sort of activity occurring on campus which chances are, is free 😀

As a returning placement student, I definitely feel like a fresher as there are lots of new faces since many of my friends and course mates have graduated this year. That’s why living on campus is great as it gives me plenty of opportunities to make new friends and catch up with those that did go on placement as well. I loved that I got to be around for Freshers’ Week this time around. It’s a great opportunity to make new friends as there are lots of activities organised throughout the week as well as club nights every night at Rubix, our on-campus club. I attended some of the activities such as a cooking lesson where I learnt to make amazing chicken noodles.

Classes have officially started now and though it’s only been 3 days, it feels like I never left now. It has been a struggle to go back to the university mindset after a year away from education but I’m sure I’ll be back in the student zone in no time! It’s definitely going to be hard work though this year as it’s my final year and the Asian in me expects nothing less than a First Class Honours.

A quite side note! Applications to join the Ambassador family are open until the 9th of October 2016! We are looking for Malaysian students who are keen to share their experiences about living in the UK through a weekly blog as well as manage our Facebook page amongst other things. It would be great to have another Malaysian join the team J Check out the link below for more information regarding the application process.

http://www.surrey.ac.uk/currentstudents/career/ambassadors/index.htm

Before I go, I thought it’d be a good idea to ask you all if there were certain topics you may want me to blog about. Feel free to drop an email at Malaysia@surrey.ac.uk or send a Facebook message to the University of Surrey: Malaysia page with blog topics or any queries you may have 🙂

Till next time; Selamat tinggal!