Who doesn’t like a holiday dedicated to pancakes?

Yesterday I discovered that the Brits really do have everything figured out. They celebrate a holiday where you eat pancakes all day long. Just to create a full picture the pancakes here are actually crepes, not that I’m complaining! We made pancakes all morning long before class and did some toping experimentation. There is also this ongoing debate with people here if savoury toppings should be allowed. I personally chose all sweet toppings but I’m definitely not opposed to the idea. It’s properly named Shrove Tuesday but has now taken on the common name of Pancake Day and marks the start of Lent. So it seems like a great idea right? Just eat pancakes for a day? The catch is that following Shrove Tuesday, you have to give up something for the next 40 days. My housemate and course mate who follow it every year have given up sugar and in the process have convinced me to do the same. For the next 40 days I’m officially sugar free (although nature sugars such as fruit have been deemed acceptable). No chocolates, hot chocolates, no cake, no juice or jelly or ketchup. Luckily, the 40 days end at Easter so chocolate bunnies and eggs will be free game then. I’ll keep you guys posted on how it’s going. I hope everyone had a lovely Christmas and New Years.

FullSizeRender