Canadian Law Student Christmas Party and Charity Christmas Mock Trial

Hello!

With the Christmas break fast approaching, the University of Surrey’s School of Law and the University of Surrey Law Society have been putting on some fun events for our benefit.

One of the events was a Canadian law student Christmas get together. To get into the spirit of the holidays, we were offered mulled wine and mince pies. We were also invited to participate in a gift exchange which I thought was such a fun idea. I love buying and wrapping Christmas presents so this was right up my alley! Some of our professors, along with the Head of the School of Law, came along the event which offered a great opportunity to connect. These events are great in bringing together staff and student in a more relaxed setting, and also offer an opportunity to meet the other Canadian law students.

Another event that happened this week was a charity Christmas mock trial performed by some of the professors of the School of Law. The theme was a criminal trial in which Santa had been charged with inflicting grievous bodily harm to one of his elves, McJingles, who suffered minor brain injuries. Professor Nick Clapham as the prosecutor and professor Timothy James representing the defendant. Their performances were very impressive as both have practiced as solicitors in their careers. Overall, the trial was very fun as all of the actors gave theatrical performances in their portrayal of their characters. This was only my second time attending a mock trial, still I am very impressed with the talent and skill that is demonstrated during these events. The outcome of the case was that Santa was acquitted by the jury as the evidence did not validate a criminal conviction beyond a reasonable doubt. You can read the Law Society’s case summary and view more of their pictures of the event here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.702396103296099.1073741854.158098924392489&type=3

In all, I am very pleased with the many activities the School of Law and the Law Society have been putting on this semester. I must admit that I did not make the most of these events during my first year which I somewhat regret in retrospect. However, it is never too late to start taking advantage of these and getting involved. I encourage you to stay connected with you faculty’s and relevant society’s activities and events as it is a great opportunity to meet new people and get involved.

Cheers!