Pleased To Meet You! FAQs

Hi hi!

Welcome to my first blog post. Allow me to introduce myself with a few FAQs as though I’m some sort of important company/institution. This is just to give a little background information about myself, by answering the questions that usually come up whenever I meet someone new.

Q: What’s your name?

A: I’m Harmony, it’s a pleasure to meet you

Q: Harmony is an interesting name. Can you sing?

A: I’m not the best singer, but I’m also not the worst. Fun fact: in 2012 (before I even dreamt of coming to uni here) I went on a tour of England with my choir, and sang at Canterbury Cathedral.

Q: Where are you from? How long have you been here?

A: I was born and raised in the beautiful twin island republic of Trinidad and Tobago. In September 2016, my mother put me on a plane and shipped me off to the UK to be an adult… all on my own. Smashing!

Q: Trinidad? Wow, it must be very cold for you here!

A: Honestly, it hasn’t been too bad. Thankfully, Mother Nature gave me a relatively ‘warm’ winter last year, so I’m yet to experience any brutally cold temperatures. In fact, I’ve never even seen snow before!

Q: What do you study?

A: I’m in my second year of Theatre and Performance with Creative Writing at Surrey (which is a major/minor degree)

Q: Theatre and Performance? So you want to be an actor then?

A: Yes and no. Contrary to popular belief, the Theatre and Performance programme isn’t necessarily an acting degree, though that is a big part of it for me! Nothing makes me happier than performing, but my ultimate goal is to be a university lecturer.

Q: Creative Writing? Ah, so what do you write? Plays of course?

A: Nope. I hardly ever write anything but poetry. My preferred form is spoken word poetry, (which I don’t do as often as I should). Funny enough, I chose to study Creative Writing because I actually want to go into arts journalism – i.e. critiques, reviews, highlights, columns and all that jazz

Q: Are you a part of any societies?

A: I most certainly am. I’m the president of the Catholic Society, as well as a fundraising and promotions officer for the African Caribbean Society.

Plus, I’m a student ambassador and a course rep for my year group. All while working part time and being a full time island girl.

Q: Why did you choose Surrey?

A: The major factor for me was being able to cover many bases through my studies. Surrey was one of the only universities in North America and the UK that allowed me to combine two disciplines, while also striking a balance between technical theatre, acting and theory.

Q: Do you like it here?

A: I love it here! I love the freedom that I have, I’ve met some fantastic people, seen some amazing shows and all the works.

Q: Tell me more about yourself

A: That question was a cheat. No one really asks that, but I’m just going to round off with a few more facts.

• I’m really really cheap (correction: frugal), so my blog will definitely feature some ideas about how to save money at uni.
  • I’m crazy about health and fitness. A faithful member of the Surrey Sports Park and the DIY hair and skincare club.
  • I’ve trained in ballet, modern, contemporary, tap and jazz dance since I was 5 years old! I even take extra-curricular dance classes at university.
  • As you might be able to tell, I’m quite a busy gyal. I have many broad interests and I love staying occupied, so I’ll definitely post about some things to do in and around Guildford.

So there you go! That’s a brief overview of my existence.

Hopefully you’ll get to learn a bit more about my life and experiences with every post, as I try to make myself sound as interesting as possible.

Over and out!

Harmony