Why did I choose to study economics?

Hello everyone!

I hope you guys are all well! In this post I will talk about my course. 

As I mentioned before, I am studying BSc Business Economics. University of Surrey was ranked in top 10 in 2022 by times higher education world university rankings for business and economics and I am proud to be studying in a university who constantly tries to improve the quality of the education by getting feedbacks from students and constantly investing in research and development. 

First of all, all economics students study same modules first year of their programme. When I first applied, my course was pure economics but as the first year is all the same, the faculty offers you to switch between pure economics, business economics and economics and finance. I decided to switch to business economics for last two years. In terms of the difference in modules, I had a business module which was introduction to management science and this semester I have economics of the firm module which is taught by economics faculty. Economics of the firm module is only for business economics student so the number of people taking the module is around 10.  I also have a financial accounting module which pure economics students doesn’t take but economics and finance and business economics students take. In my opinion, Business economics graduates go on to become economists, portfolio managers, corporate finance analysts, management consultants, financial advisors and more. Across banking, accountancy and trade, there’s likely a job for you.

A business economics degree will see you develop a range of desirable and useful skills for your career and in your personal life such as:

• Research and analysis
  • Advanced mathematics and numeracy skills
  • Knowledge of economic systems
  • Problem solving and attention to detail
  • Spoken and written English.

Studying a degree with a wider scope allows you to learn two different subjects in-depth. This, in the case of economics and business, has several benefits.

First, you will be able to take learnings from an economics module and use it in your business module and vice versa. This will improve your academic work and give you a richer understanding of your subject.

Studying both subjects allows you to discover which field you prefer studying and may help you decide on your future career aims. Graduating from a degree that covers both fields could give you an edge in a competitive job market too. Once you have a job, you will be then able to draw upon learnings from the two subjects, potentially making you a more well-rounded employee.

Students will also have access to specialist mathematical and statistical software, learning different coding languages as well as gaining skills, experience and knowledge necessary to prepare them for careers in economics and business analytics. 

You will develop a strong understanding of quantitative techniques and the conceptual underpinnings of microeconomic and macroeconomic theory and how they can be applied to the analysis of business behaviour. 

That’s my course in a nutshell! If you want to check the structure of the course and other information regarding that here’s the link:

https://www.surrey.ac.uk/undergraduate/business-economics

See you soon,

Cemsu