Recruiting Volunteers: Researching Tourette’s and Running for Tourette’s

If you have ever had to find volunteers to participate in your research, you will understand that it is often quite challenging. It is not an exaggeration when I say that my PhD work depends on me finding participants to complete my research. The job of finding participants becomes harder the more specific the characteristics of individuals who can participate. I will describe below how over time I had to get creative in the recruitment process. Maybe this will help to inspire some ideas for other students’ recruitment strategy.

I have started recruitment in July 2019 for my current PhD study. My target number of volunteers is 90 people, including 30 in each group. I have almost reached two thirds of my target by the time of writing this blog. I am still not able to find enough people for one of my groups. What makes this challenging is the fact that this group is very specific. I am looking for individuals with tics (or Tourette’s syndrome). Tics are sudden movements (such as eye blinks) or sounds (such as sniffling) which occur suddenly and repeatedly and those who have tics might find it hard to control them. Tourette’s syndrome is when both types of tics, movements and sounds, are experienced by one person. Tics are very common; some people are aware of having them and some are not.

I still need many participants with tics before I can conclude my PhD project. I have made a list of my attempts at finding volunteers since July last year. It is provided below, and I hope it can inspire new solutions for other students’ recruitment strategy:

• Campaigns on Facebook and Twitter targeting support groups and community groups

I targeted Facebook support groups for individuals with tics and Tourette’s. I also targeted local community groups, mainly around Guildford, spanning from Sussex to London and Hampshire to Essex. On Twitter, I made networks with academics in a similar area of research who were likely to share my posts. I also used hashtags relating to my topic.

• Making and sharing a video about my study

My partner helped me to make a video about my study. We filmed a short introduction to the project and showed each step of the procedure to illustrate what participation looks like. We used my phone and we made edits using an app called YouCut – Video Editor. I shared the video across social media as part of my campaigns.

• Advertisement of my project by Tourettes Action

The charity made a project page for me on their website. They advertised my research via their newsletter, website and social media.

• Contacting local community support groups

Tourettes Action has local community groups who organise regular meetings. I have contacted these groups and asked for their support and for the information about my study to be shared with their members.

• Bake sales and public engagement at different universities and events

I baked cakes, brought posters and I brought my EEG cap and electrodes to show the public. I would always bring a signing sheet where people could leave their contact details if they wanted more information or if they wanted to take part.

• Advertisement posters put up at the university

I have made posters about my study and taken them around different buildings at the university to draw attention of anyone who could take part. I also advertised my research through the university’s SONA system which is an electronic system for research participation.

• Emailing other researchers to ask for advice

I emailed those who are based in the UK and who have run research with similar groups. To my surprise, everyone has had the same difficulty in finding volunteers!

• My most recent attempt – running a half marathon

I am doing this to raise awareness about the importance of participating in research and to fundraise for the charity that has been supporting me along the way – Tourettes Action.

The bravest step I have taken is to run a half marathon – for the first time! So far, I have been a casual runner on rather short distance trails in a local riverside park. This time, I will run in the London Landmarks Half Marathon which takes place on the 29th of March. I will be part of the Tourettes Action team.

I have undertaken this huge challenge for two reasons. Firstly, I want to raise awareness of the importance of research in developing our understanding of tics. I would like to encourage interested individuals to participate in research! Some people support research by donating money but participating in research is equally as important – it is what makes research happen. Without participating volunteers there would be no research!

Secondly, I want to fundraise for Tourettes Action in the aid of their projects. Tourettes Action highly value the work of researchers towards the understanding of tic conditions and improving support and resources for those who live with them. My recent work has received invaluable help from the team at Tourettes Action and I am honoured to support them in return by running the half marathon.

My three main goals are:
– to raise money to support Tourettes Action’s projects
– to emphasise the importance of research
– to raise interest in individuals with tic conditions who may want to contribute to my work by participating in research

Anyone can support this cause and if you wish to get involved, here is what you can do:
– You can sponsor my half marathon run in the aid of Tourettes Action – every donation is highly valued
– You can share my story with friends to help me reach out to many people who experience tics. You can share this blog, my fundraising page or my research project page, all links are below.
– If you experience tics, and you are interested in supporting research, please contact me about participating in my project at m.topor@surrey.ac.uk

My fundraising page can be accessed at:
https://wonderful.org/fundraiser/supportingresearchlondonlandmarkshalfmarathon-f8da07dc

Further information about my research project can be found on my Tourettes Action project page:
https://www.tourettes-action.org.uk/news-411-.html

… and by viewing my video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuEzNZNgfgI

Thank you for your support, in whatever form it might be!

About me:

My name is Marta and I am a second year PhD student. I have been working towards the understanding of tics over the past 4 years. I have worked with children and adults throughout my experience. I am really passionate about my work and I am aiming to contribute to the improvement of understanding and support for people who experience tics. My current project investigates the processes of action control in people with tics and how they may impact emotional functioning. I am using an innovative brain activity measurement. It allows me to record brain waves during different tasks. All volunteers can see their brainwaves and even receive a picture of them!