The University of Surrey 3MT 2021 Competition is now open!

We are excited to announce the University of Surrey will once again be participating in the national Vitae 3MT® competition 2021 process.

The Three Minute Thesis competition celebrates the exciting academic work conducted by Postgraduate Researchers at Surrey. Developed by The University of Queensland, the competition cultivates students’ academic, presentation, and professional communication skills.

To find out more about this year’s competition sign up for the 3MT Briefing Session:

• Fri 19th March 10-11am. An opportunity to find out more about the Surrey 3MT 2021 Competition PGRs are invited to register here

For the further information about the training workshops, 2021 3MT timeline and links to previous 3MT Surrey Winners recordings visit the Doctoral College 3MT webpage

Winner turned judge!

We’re delighted that last year winner Sam Muir has kindly agreed to be part of the final judging panel. We recently caught up with Sam to find out what tips she would give anyone considering applying for the 2021 3MT Competition. Sam encouraged PGRs to give it a go…

Why did you decide to sign up for the 3MT competition last year – what persuaded you?

It was quite a spontaneous decision. With the suddenness of the first lockdown I felt it was a way of keeping me focused on my studies and gave me a sense of moving forward.

How did you prepare?

I worked on my script and practised it out loud over and over until I had it memorised. I also stood in front of the mirror when I practised as this helped me to get over my nervousness. 

What have you learnt from your experience?

I’ve learnt to talk about my research in a confident and succinct manner. 

What was the most enjoyable part of the 3MT competition….And the most challenging?

Well, winning was the most enjoyable part! But seriously I really liked the challenge although I must have re-recorded the video about 50 times. The hardest part was fitting everything I wanted to say into 3 minutes.

Finally, what 3 tips would you give anyone thinking of participating in this year’s 3MT competition?

• Don’t be afraid to show your passion for your research.
  • Don’t overcomplicate your text. 
  • Practise, practise, practise. 

Thanks Sam – we look forward to this year’s 3MT submissions.