Looking for and securing a placement?

(Continuing the last post)

Third, Action and apply!

–          Your faculty will advertise different opportunities; some faculties have connections with companies and therefore you’ll have a higher chance of getting the position. However, there is no guarantee that you will find one.

–          You can also find placement on your own. Website such as ratemyplacement.co.uk , indeed.co.uk… (And a lot more) can lead you to different vacancies. There will also be career fair from time to time at Surrey so you’ll know what positions are available. However, before proceeding to the paper work (such as signing contract), ask your faculty to check the suitability.

–          Generally, you can expect to go through different steps:

1. Apply through email (cover letter+CV) OR through application form
  2. Aptitude test
  3. Phone/skype/video interview
  4. Interview in person
  5. Received offer
  6. Employment check and sign contract

Different companies will have different procedures so always be prepared. If you are applying jobs from UK companies, try to state that your tier 4 visa allows you to work as placement student and as part of your degree. If you are applying jobs from HK companies, state that your university allows you to work for a year as many HK students apply for 1 year intern but only worked over the summer. For practical job-seeking skills, please gain advice from our career service- they are experts in these!

Most importantly, DON’T GIVE UP. To be honest, I applied to many jobs and yet I only received a few invitations for interviews and failed many times. I didn’t give up and decided to work harder, keep improving my cover letter and CV and always be prepared…. And at last, I secured a placement in a bank based in Hong Kong as Human Resources intern! Since I’ll be working in Hong Kong, I’ll live at home and therefore I don’t have to pay rent (YEAH!). Nonetheless, I believe there are lots of new experiences and challenges waiting for me in the coming year and I am looking forward to it!

Last but not least, THANK YOU everyone who have read/comment/shared my blog! I really enjoyed sharing my university life with you and hope you like it. Good luck and hopefully I’ll see you again after my placement year!