Welcome to Joel – our guest student curator for Black History Month

We would like to introduce Joel, our very first guest student curator for October! As a ‘guest curator,’ Joel will be exploring our Library collections over the next few weeks and highlighting materials he finds in celebration of Black History Month. In representing the student voice, Joel will not only be helping us to develop and diversify our collections by suggesting new titles for the Library to buy, but will also ensure our collection continues to expand and be relevant to all students. 

Over to you, Joel:

Hi! I’m Joel and I am a Second Year English Lit with Creative Writing student, and the Social Media Manager for LitSoc (Literature Society).

I have interests in music production, visual medias (i.e. photography & film) and going to the gym. Surrey was my first choice for a University destination; great things have always been said about it and what they can provide for Literature students in particular. It was also the closest university choice to home (London)! I am very excited to be Surrey’s Student Curator this Black History Month.

While I enjoy looking back at the feeling of finishing first year, settling into it was challenging. Especially as the only black/minority boy in my course’s year, it felt like everyone at Surrey had already identified people like themselves and got along with university from the start. One way I would encourage myself was to conduct further research into various black historical icons, and how they have persevered in their fields (i.e. literature) despite their tribulations. Feeling singled out isn’t an issue for me – knowing myself for myself means that I can provide a different perspective and represent.

I plan to show my research on what our Library provides through creating blog posts, making physical displays, utilising Surrey Library’s social media platforms and adding new resources to the library collection.

Interested? Want to find out more? Joel will be updating you on his progress on Twitter and Instagram over the next few weeks – so watch this space!