Joining the team

Hi!

I’m very excited to have joined the North American blog and I’m looking forward to sharing my experiences with all of you. Let me start by saying that having only been here for a few months, I vividly remember my own application process. I found the physical distance difficult and I thought it would be more challenging to get information and a feel for the school. However, the response I got from Surrey was incredible and from when I started corresponding with them, it felt like there was an invested interest in my wellbeing. I want to make sure that each of you applying to the university feel the same! No question is too trivial and let’s be honest – at the end of the day we all want to know how many people we are going to be sharing a bathroom with and where you go to buy food. Whether it’s a question about applications, accommodations, moving overseas or what the university life is like please feel free to email me whenever!

As some of you may have read, I’m from Toronto and I’m now doing veterinary medicine here at Surrey! It wasn’t a quick and easy process to get here as I’m sure some of you are finding out but let me assure you – it’s worth it! I went to Greenwood College School for high school and then studied Animal Biology at the University of Guelph. I decided to apply to schools overseas in my second year and started doing research until I found a few schools in England that I was interested in. The desire to move schools stemmed wanting a course as hands on as the career. I have known I wanted to be a vet since I was a child and I wanted to get started as quickly as I could. I landed on Surrey because it had the hands on aspect I was looking for and it has definitely exceeded my expectations! Each week we have live animal handling practicals, dissections and labs. Along with giving us applicable skills in real life, it helps enforce the theory we learn alongside it. I know this is true for many other courses here as well!

It’s a big change to move overseas to England but it has been a wonderful experience so far and I’m looking forward to sharing what life over here really looks like!

Have a wonderful day everyone!