A Personal Journey of Cultural Exploration

Hey there, I’m Ammar, and as the Christmas lights twinkle around Surrey’s campus, I find myself reminiscing about my journey from the vibrant city of Multan, Pakistan, to the embracing arms of Surrey—a journey colored by cultural exploration and a thirst for knowledge.

Multan, with its bustling streets and rich cultural heritage, has been both my playground and my inspiration. However, the allure of exploring new horizons led me here, to the University of Surrey, where I embarked on my academic journey with a foundation year in STEM subjects, fueled by my passion to dive into the fascinating world of Food Science and Nutrition.

This Christmas vacation, amidst the festive decorations and the jingles in the air, I can’t help but reflect on the transition from the warmth of Multan to the welcoming embrace of Surrey’s community. It’s been a time filled with wonder, curiosity, and a touch of homesickness, especially during this season when traditions back home are cherished and celebrated.

Christmas Lights Regent Street, London
Christmas Lights Carnaby Street, London

Adapting to a new culture while immersing myself in academia has been an exhilarating challenge—one that constantly shapes me and broadens my perspectives. Whether it’s savoring the local cuisine or sharing tales of Eid with newfound friends, each moment has been a delightful exchange of traditions and stories.

My decision to study Food Science and Nutrition here at Surrey isn’t just about academics; it’s about intertwining my passion for the subject with the cultural diversity that enriches this university. It’s about cherishing the spirit of this festive season and embracing the different traditions that make this time of year so special for many.

As the Christmas vacation envelops Surrey in its festive aura, I step into the role of a student ambassador for the University of Surrey, eager to share the stories that have shaped my journey. Through this series of narratives, let’s explore the intersection where the colors of Multan meet the vibrant canvas of Surrey. Join me as we unravel the nuances, traditions, and shared moments that define our journey here.

Warm regards,
Ammar