Photography?

Hi all!

Today I wanted to share with you one my most recent hobbies: photography. More specifically, I wanted to share my thoughts about taking pictures with disposable cameras, which I absolutely love.  So, I know it’s kind of old-school, but there’s something about the simplicity and unpredictability of a disposable camera that just can’t be beaten by a digital camera.

First of all, there’s no pressure to take the perfect shot. With a disposable camera, you only have a limited number of shots, so you’re not going to waste them on anything that’s not worth photographing. You have to be a bit more selective, and that means you’re going to put more thought into what you’re taking a picture of. And since you can’t see the picture right away, you have to trust your instincts and hope for the best. Have a look to some shots which I took a year ago in Gran Canaria (Spain). I usually take pictures of scenarios with people in, but landscapes form part of my portfolio too!

Some shots taken with my disposable camera.

Another great thing about disposable cameras is that you get to relive the experience of getting your pictures developed. There’s something really exciting about picking up your prints from the store and seeing how they turned out. Sometimes you get some unexpected surprises, like a blurry shot that actually looks really cool, or a perfectly timed shot that you didn’t even remember taking. Plus, you get physical prints and/or negative films that you can hold in your hands and put up on your wall or in a scrapbook. My camera cost about 20 GBP, including 25 photographs (If I’m not mistaken 😊).

My disposable camera (to the left) and the most recent negative films revealed (to the right).

One of my favourite things about disposable cameras is that they have a certain charm to them that you just can’t replicate with digital cameras. The pictures have a kind of vintage quality to them, with their slightly grainy texture and muted colours. And since you’re not editing them on your phone or computer, the pictures have a more authentic feel to them. They’re not perfect, but they’re real, and that’s what makes them special.

So, there you have it. Those are just a few reasons why I love taking pictures with disposable cameras. I know they’re not for everyone, but if you’re looking for a fun, low-pressure way to capture your memories, you should definitely give them a try. Who knows, you might just be surprised by how much you enjoy it!

Tip: ALWAYS use flash with these cameras, it really improves photo quality. I unfortunately learnt this the hard way…