Sometimes from lab coats to business suits, the journey of a PhD candidate often takes unexpected turns. While the pursuit of a doctorate is typically associated with research and academia, an intriguing shift is being observed—a growing number of scholars are exploring the world of business and startups. In this blog post, we unveil two exciting upsides to embarking on this dual journey. Discover how the intersection of academic rigour and entrepreneurial spirit can not only enrich your post-PhD life but also revolutionize industries and create lasting impact. Let’s delve into the uncharted territory where innovation meets academia, and explore the compelling reasons to consider launching a business or startup during and after your Ph.D.
- Applying your research to real-world problems: Starting a business based on your research allows you to apply your knowledge and skills to solve real-world problems and make a positive impact.
- Gaining valuable skills: Starting a business requires a wide range of skills, such as entrepreneurship, marketing, and financial management, that can be useful in any career path.
- Increasing your employability: Starting a business during or after your PhD can make you more attractive to potential employers and increase your chances of finding a fulfilling and well-paying job.
- Having the opportunity to be your own boss: Starting a business allows you to be your own boss and have control over your own career, which can be very rewarding.
- Potential for financial gain: Starting a business can potentially lead to financial gain, such as increased income and the potential for equity in the company.
- Networking: Starting a business allows you to connect with other entrepreneurs and industry experts, which can be a valuable source of knowledge and support.
- Personal growth: Starting a business can be a challenging and rewarding experience that can help you grow personally and professionally.
- Making a difference: Starting a business can allow you to create something that can change the world, or make a positive impact on society.
It’s important to note that starting a business can be risky and challenging, but the potential benefits can be significant if done successfully.
Not sure about your next step? Then reach out to Dr Geoffrey Knott, PhD Accelerator Manager (firstname.lastname@example.org), who can guide you towards exciting opportunities, events, and resources that can help you navigate through this phase and make a lasting impact.