Finding the Right Place: How I made my own space a home from home

Starting university is a huge milestone, and choosing where to live during your time at university is one of the most important decisions you will make. Whether you are a fresher or a returning student, finding the right place to call home for the next few years can be both exciting and daunting. Here is my experience of finding my perfect space and making it feel like home.

During my first year, I chose to live in halls, like most first year students. I thought this would be the easiest way to meet new people and immerse myself in the university experience. Living in halls meant that I was constantly surrounded by fellow students, which made it easy to meet new people and form friendships. I lived on Manor Park campus during my first year, and it was around a 30 minute walk or a 15 minute bus ride to Stag Hill campus, which is also the main campus where most lectures are at. 

During my second year and now in my final year, I’ve chosen to live off campus, and the contrast between these two experiences has given me a deeper understanding of what it means to find a place that feels like home. It was a huge change, but a very exciting one.

One of the first things I did after moving in was unpacking things from home that brought me comfort to personalise my new space. Simple items, like photos of friends and family made a huge difference. I put up pictures on the board and a crystal light and some positive quotes to make the space feel more inviting. I also brought along a few soft throws and stuffed animals to add warmth to the room, making it a cozy place to retreat to after a long day of classes.

Another way I made my new accommodation feel like home was by incorporating familiar routines. Even though I was in a new town, I kept up with the little rituals I had at home – like making a hot beverage in the evenings or listening to music while getting ready in the morning. These small things grounded me and helped me settle into the unfamiliar environment much more quickly. It’s amazing how the little touches can transform a room and give it personality!

Making a place feel like home isn’t just about decorating – it’s also about creating routines and connections that make you feel settled. When I moved into my off-campus apartment, I made sure to establish a routine that balanced university life with time to relax and enjoy my space. I set up a little study corner in my room where I could concentrate, but I also created cozy spaces to unwind, like adding a reading nook by the window.

Cooking meals at home became another way to feel grounded. Instead of grabbing food on campus, I started experimenting with simple recipes in the shared kitchen. Cooking familiar dishes or trying out new ones with housemates made the space feel more like home, and it was a great way to bond with my housemates.

When exploring the different options for accommodation at university, it is important to understand your options and weigh the pros and cons of living on or off campus. Living on campus is often more convenient, such as being closer to classes and university facilities, as well as having a built-in community and various student support services. Living off-campus might provide more freedom and flexibility, however this might mean having to commute to campus and managing additional responsibilities, such as utility and maintenance bills.

Accommodation on campus is guaranteed for first year students, therefore many students choose to live on campus for their first year and rent student housing for their subsequent years of study. While you can still apply for university accommodation after your first year, please note this is not guaranteed.

Manor Park campus during the winter!

The University offers a range of accommodation options, which are spread across 6 different bands, from shared rooms to studio flats on our 3 campuses, Stag Hill, Manor Park and Hazel Farm. Please note that accommodation on Hazel Farm campus only consists of budget single rooms (previously Band A and B) and will no longer be available from the 2025-2026 academic year onwards.

Check out this link for the most updated information for on-campus accommodation! https://www.surrey.ac.uk/accommodation/our-accommodation

The lake on Stag Hill campus during the summer!

Looking back, I am glad I got to experience both university halls and off-campus living. Living in halls was a great introduction to university life as it helped me to meet new people easily and stay connected to everything happening on campus. Now that I am living off-campus, I have definitely gained a greater sense of independence and a place that truly feels like home

Contact accommodation@surrey.ac.uk for any further enquiries!