Presentation: Placement experience

Apart from keep going through the placement scheme within the company, in the past two weeks we have also been into university and college to do promote the placement opportunity as well. As the current placement student, I have also done some short talk as well! The reason for our company to go around schools to announce the placement vacancy is first trained new people who has related skills and fundamental knowledge in audio and video, second is to advertise and introduce more people to AV industry, since it was so behind the market but required certain amount of people due to its expansion in the business. The two education organisations we went to was obviously back to University of Surrey and another is Middlesbrough college.

I might mentioned in my early posts for the placement lecture last year that companies will come into the lecture to introduce their business and the placement opportunity they are offering, AVMI the company that I am working for currently was one of them, and I was in that lecture last year as well. Guess who’s doing the presentation this year, uh-huh yes that’s me! Although I have got a few times to do some presentations while I was in uni, but as you know my year group was pretty small and people who were listening are all my coursemates so I felt less nervous back then. However, this time I had to present in front of the current second year students among our course and Audio Engineering course which are a group of 5-60 people. It doesn’t sound many, but it still freaks me out quite a lot. The topic that I covered in the presentation was basically sharing the experience I had so far with AVMI and some thoughts I had during my placement. Thinking on the good side is the contents are from my own experience instead of remembering some difficult terms, also getting experience on doing presentation is another important skill that I have always wanted to emphasis myself in.

I have separated my presentation into three major parts which are my background, things I have experience so far and my future expects throughout the placement year. As I said before, moving from a creativity production course into an industry which probably none of us have heard before could stop people from getting involved, but based on the experience that I have been in for few months I really enjoyed it and I have learned a lot from everything. On the other hand, the whole point of placement year wasn’t just to get some work experience to put it on your CV but to know how the professional industry are like and get yourself an idea whether you like it or not. Nobody knows what they would like to do in the future in the first place isn’t it?

Anyways, the first presentation to Middlesbrough was quite interesting since it is like a remote meeting. Middlesbrough is all the way up north, so we decided to dial the head of HR and myself into that presentation which pretty much also demonstrate what we are doing daily-basis from work! I think it might be because that I didn’t directly seeing the audience in person but just from the screen, I was less nervous and also got a chance to peak my script haha so that one went very well. Seeing people being interested into the role was quite cool at the same time. As the one to Surrey, since I had to personally be there so yah I was very nervous especially seeing people sitting in rows right in front of you. I wouldn’t say I did a perfect job cause I’ve messed up some bits but it was always good to be back to the uni and seeing the lecturer again.

Perhaps there will be more opportunity for me to do a presentation either in front of my college or the client, which I think I still need more practice to mater myself in presenting. Overall, it was a great experience and I think I have once again grown a bit from it. Sorry to be back after a long time while the presentation was a while ago, but yah the weekly updating is back so please stay tune! I will see you next time!