Colours and BioSoc Ball

Why hello there!

Last weekend and this upcoming one are pretty special! Last weekend was Colours Ball (the English spell color with a U) and this weekend is BioSoc Ball. These past few weeks have included finding dresses, suits, shoes, figuring out our tables for dinner at the balls, and everything else.

13178886_10209610254391808_3216309795671692080_n13118984_10209610281992498_3312441987163054105_n

Colours Ball is a dance for the sports teams. You go with your team which is a great way to bond with them after all the competitions are over. There is a three course meal, awards presented, photo-booths, a performance from the salsa society, a dance floor with a dj and a band, and an outside deck with a mechanical bull and a beautiful lake.

WP_20160507_013

The awards are given to both individuals and entire teams. The individual awards are based on the number of years you have been on a team and number of competitions you have been to. If you have lettering in high school, it’s similar to that. The team award for things like most charitable donations.

FB_20160509_20_07_19_Saved_Picture

The university also had coaches to take us to and from the venue which was very convenient. The dance was really fun! I have to say I was reminded about what it is like to dance in uncomfortable shoes again. Almost all the girls ended up taking our heels off. It was nice to see the teams get so hyped up for their team members getting awards and the team awards. Everyone is in a little family.

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_13173323_10153912373102034_5109369084962255698_o

Up next is the BioSoc Ball. This ball is hosted by the bio-sciences society. Almost all degrees have a society and depending on how big they are, host a ball. For instance, the business degrees host a business ball every year. I went last year and it was really fun! The societies do a really good job at hosting really good events, especially when it is all run by students. You are not limited to only going to events for your degrees society. I do computing and am more than welcome to go to the BioSoc Ball. The only difference is members of the society, who had to pay a members fee at the beginning of the year, get their ticket £3-4 cheaper than non-members. I have a lot of friends doing bio sciences so it should be a really great night. Once again a three course meal, free wine, a dance floor with entertainment will all be present.

WP_20160507_011WP_20160508_001

Beyond the dances that I get to go to, the year is almost coming to a close. There is only a few more weeks left! That means deadlines and finals, but looking beyond that is one of the most exciting years I will get to have. I can’t wait to work for my dream company, live in another stunning English city, and get a whole different perspective of what it is like to live and WORK in England. I already follow far too many Instagram pages that take photos all over England, so I am constantly inspired about what is available in this amazing country. I am so excited to actually have free weekends with no homework or tests that I can use to explore!! At the end of the day, I just want to explore 😉 Now I’ll have the time and funds. On the other hand it does feel weird that I will have completed 2/3 years of my degree and that when I come back I will only have one more year of school before entering that long time warned “real world”. When that time comes, I know I will be prepared and my next year’s placement will give me the best start possible.

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_13064589_1777219069163317_8772919644017897237_o

I’d like to hear about what you want to know about! Email me and I’ll write about it in my upcoming blogs. I’m sure if you have a question someone else will have the same one!

Holly