Meet a Minnesotan!

\ Hi, I’m Krysia! \

Greetings my fellow Americans, I would like to introduce myself as I have recently joined the USA blog team 🙂 My name is Krysia and I am a first year student studying International Business Management. I was born in Minnesota and spent my whole life there until I graduated from my high school in the summer of 2018.

Minnesota is renowned for the Mall of America and more notably our crazy winters, multitude of lakes, and our traditional massive April snowstorms. You have probably seen Minnesota featured in the news at some point breaking a new winter record each year, but I promise you we do still have somewhat warm summers. We don’t have palm trees or mountains, but it’s definitely an interesting place that prepares you for any weather! 😉

Growing up, all of my friends and classmates saw my passion for England. It was quite the experience being raised in a household where I picked up a half accent from hearing my Mum’s strong English accent each day while admiring my Dad’s patriotic American attitude. I did have the opportunity to visit my grandparents and other relatives in England, and when I was young I remember looking out the car window in awe as we drove through London and I absorbed the fascinating sights around me.

I recently received my dual citizenship status for America and England, and both countries hold a special place in my heart. There is definitely an abundance of history and diversity in England that is not as prevalent in America, but you won’t find the same shopping deals that America has in England! Each country has unique attributes, and I am thankful for the opportunity to experience life in both cultures.

In the time that I arrived at the University of Surrey in September to almost the end of my first year now, I have been able to participate in so many opportunities that I would not have elsewhere. I remember being in your exact shoes last year and upon making the decision to come to England, I haven’t looked back since. It has been a time to further develop myself, go beyond my comfort zone and become exposed to the wider world of international environments.

This USA blog actually had quite an impact on my own university decision as I really enjoyed getting an insight into the daily life and opportunities at Surrey from a student perspective. I am thrilled to now be an International Ambassador for the USA myself, and I look forward to sharing my memories and advice with you throughout these next 3 years of my university journey. Remember that I was in your position too last year, so I am more than happy to help with any questions you may have along the way. Just send an email to northamerica@surrey.ac.uk and myself or a fellow ambassador will get back to you.

To conclude, here are some fun facts about myself and photos. In my free time, I enjoy competitive swimming and spending time with friends, family, and my special 34 year old horse (who lives back in MN). At Surrey, I am still able to continue my involvement through the equestrian and swimming clubs among the many other things I do. I am excited to share my adventures with you, and hope I am helpful in giving you a unique perspective into England and the wonderful opportunities at the University of Surrey.

Until next time!

Krysia