I had the really exciting opportunity to accompany Peter Muncey (International student recruitment office, University of Surrey) to the International graduate outcomes report launch event. This event was organised by Universities UK International (UUKi; https://www.universitiesuk.ac.uk/) and was conducted in the House of Commons, London.
This event was sponsored by Jo Johnson, who is the Minister of State for the Department of Business, Energy and Industrial strategy and the Department of Education. It was great to hear from the people who have the power to influence education through the government in addition to learning about what they have in mind for international students in the next 5 years.
Here’s what I grasped from this networking event and what you need to know as an international student wishing to study in the UK:
- The International graduate outcomes report is a study that explores the career outcomes of 16,199 international graduates from 58 institutions in the UK (incl. the University of Surrey).
- Some key facts and numbers based on what students feel:
- International students who studied at UK universities are pursuing opportunities across the globe and don’t necessarily return to their home countries after finishing studies (as UK degrees are internationally recognised).
- The study also revealed that UK graduates who return to India after graduation earn 83% more than the national graduate average salary, which is why this is also a good investment!
- As many of you know, a 6 month visa is awarded after the completion of a post-graduate degree to enable students to look for opportunities. This period was 2 years up until 2012 when the UK started to tighten its borders. Most delegates including Mr Johnson shared that they are working to bring back the 2 year period in the near future. I am sure this is fantastic news for some of you who are hoping to work in the UK!
As an international student myself, it was incredibly insightful to know what previous graduates are doing. I also felt reassured knowing that there’s a lot in store for me in the future, as is for you! It was also great to meet new people, especially Konstantina, a current postgraduate student at Surrey. Not only was it great to hear about the careers of international students in the UK but we also got to see the House of Commons, not to mention fantastic views of the London Eye!