Gyms, Yoga and Physical activity – What is there to do in Guildford?

Hello!

A big part of staying mentally and physically healthy during your studies is staying active. I thought I would share with you some of the options Guildford has to offer when it comes to physical activities.

First, there are the classic gyms. Although this form of physical exercise is definitely not for everyone, Guildford has quite a few gym membership options in the region. The one I wanted to promote today is the Surrey Sports Park and their Team Surrey student membership. They offer two types of passes, the peak pass for 235£ and the off peak pass for 185£ (subject to change). These will give you access to the state of the art facility which includes: the health and fitness centre, the swimming pool with sauna & steam room, the group fitness and aqua classes, tennis and squash court bookings, the Surrey Summit climbing centre, and more! Check out their website to find out more: http://www.teamsurrey.co.uk/membership.php. I also recommend shopping around on the internet to see if maybe you would prefer a more private gym, or one that is in town rather than at the University, or maybe one with more specialized classes such as CrossFit. As I said before there are quite a few options to choose from.

Then, there is yoga. Although most gyms, such as the Surrey Sports Park, offer yoga classes, there are a few exclusive yoga options in Guildford. Red Hot Yoga, Yoga with Delphine, Lululemon, etc. I signed up for Yoga with Delphine which is run by an amazing young woman, Delphine, who is a student at the University of Surrey. The classes happen at the Beverly Hall Community Centre for the very modest price of 7 pounds per class. Delphine always creates a very welcoming atmosphere with music, candles, and soft lighting. She even provides mats and a relaxation massage during Shavasana. I’ve absolutely loved attending her classes!

You could also join a University sports club. This is a great way to meet other students while staying active. You can check out a blog post I dedicated to extracurricular activities available on campus here: https://blogs.surrey.ac.uk/northamerica-blog/2016/12/13/extracurricular-activities-on-campus/.

Finally, there is obviously Guildford’s nature. There are many walking and cycling paths in Guildford which offer a great getaway from the hustle and bustle of campus life. A particularly favorite path of mine runs along the river into a wooded area. You can check out a blog post I dedicated to public foot paths here: https://blogs.surrey.ac.uk/northamerica-blog/2017/06/13/public-footpaths/.

I believe it is very important to get your heart pumping and your muscles working regularly, especially during exam season. Even if it is a quick run around your block or a home workout, it really does make a difference to your overall mood and health. School can get very hectic very quickly, so while you are here studying at Surrey don’t forget to take the time to take care of yourself.

Cheers!