Things To Do While In Lockdown

I know this is a difficult time that has many stresses of its own, of which all can be very overwhelming. So, I thought I would take this opportunity to share with you a few things I have been doing during this lockdown to take my mind off things, and take advantage of the time we have at home.

As I’ve shared in one my previous blogs, baking is absolutely one of my most favourite things to do, and I’ve been doing a lot of it! I’ve been baking cookies, cakes, muffins, crumbles and all sorts! Baking is a way in which I let go of stress, which is really helpful during this time. Besides… Who doesn’t love a good chocolate chip cookie to make quarantine a little sweeter?

Now I know this may sound a little weird, but I’ve taken to the art of painting on stones. We have a park near our house where if you go looking hard enough, you may find some beautifully decorated stones hiding in the bushes. The catch of this stone hunting is that when you take a stone home, you have to replace it. So, my youngest sister and I have been painting on stones we’ve found in our garden and are waiting until the end of lockdown to go plant them in the bushes of the park. Painting is a great way to work your creative side, especially after a long day working online.

The beginning process of stone painting

Reading is one of my favourite ways to spend my time. There is nothing better than losing yourself in a good book. I honestly don’t get the time to read a lot. But since being at home, I’ve found some time here and there to pick up my books. I’m currently reading medical diaries of past doctors. I know its not every bodies cup of tea, but reading whatever interests you most is a great way to escape reality!

Exercise is a very important part of daily living, and I know most people go to the gym and workout there, but lockdown is an opportunity to spend some time doing other exercises you may not have tried before… Like yoga or pilates, both of which are great stress releasers!

Spending time in the garden with the all sunshine we have been getting has been a real blessing in this time. I’m loving the fresh air! I’ve been reading outside, feeding the birds and watering the garden. Spending time with nature is a great way for me to just clear my head, and get some perspective. I’m thinking about maybe even starting a veggie garden with all the time on my hands!

Soaking up the sunshine!

The thing I’m taking advantage most about lockdown is the time it’s giving me with my family. I’ve also connected with more of my friends now than I have in a very long time. On a normal working day my house is normally like a train station, people coming and going. But, lockdown has forced us to slow down, and for that I am so grateful.

There may be a lot that lockdown is preventing us from doing, but there is also a lot that lockdown is enabling us to do. We are now able to get to that DIY project thats been sitting in the back of our cupboard, we’re able to read a book we’ve been putting on hold or finally teaching ourselves how to cook this and bake that. Take advantage of the time you have now to do the things you didn’t have time to do before. Phone that friend you’ve been meaning to call for the past six months, spring clean your pantry cupboard, take this time to just be you.

I’ll see you here same time next week!