Overcoming those Freshers’ nerves

With Freshers’ week only a bit more than a month away, some of you might start to feel some of the nerves bubbling up. It can be quite overwhelming to go into a brand new academic environment, where you’ll also most likely be living with up to 13 new people. I can bet you that almost everyone feels nervous for their first week at the University, even if they tell you otherwise.

Freshers’ week can be an amazing time and holds amazing potential for everyone, from meeting people who can become close friends over time, to finding the perfect society for you, to really making the University your home away from home.

There are a lot of ways that you can curb those Freshers’ nerves before you even arrive at the University. Hopefully what I have to share can help you to make the most out of your Freshers’ week.

One of the main things that can cause anxiety during the first week at University is not having all of the things that you need. Make sure that you make lists of the “essentials” you’ll personally need while at University. From toiletries, to stationary to kitchen utensils, make sure you have everything or are going to buy everything that you think you may need.

Secondly, joining the accommodation group chats can allow you to get to know your flatmates a bit before you even move in. It can help to alleviate some of that awkwardness when meeting people for the first time, as you’re essentially going through those first introductions before you’ve even met the people you’re going to be living with.

Something that really helped me during both of the Freshers’ week that I’ve gone through is knowing that everyone else is most likely just as scared and intimated to meet people as you are. Looking at everyone else putting up these confident appearances really scared me at first, but realising that they probably also feel as nervous as me made it a lot easier to approach them. Remember, they want to make friends just as much as you do. Go ahead and talk to them.

My last tip is usually more fitted for times when we aren’t in a pandemic, but it can still work in some situations. I usually left the door to my room open, to seem open and inviting to making friends with my flatmates. Now with the pandemic, I would suggest maybe sitting in the kitchen with your flatmates and trying to talk / make friends, whilst maintaining some distance from them for the time being. Playing games that do not really require close contact can be quite good.

That’s all from me this week!

I hope you’ve enjoyed some of my tips and I really do hope that you thoroughly enjoy your Freshers’ week.

Until next time, stay safe and have fun 🙂