Surrey Pathfinder is your careers platform for you to use throughout your time at university AND after you graduate. You can continue to have 1:1 careers guidance and attend our careers events and careers fairs for 3 years after you graduate. You also have lifetime access to the Surrey Pathfinder’s career development tools and jobs search engine.
In this blog, find out about creating your graduate Surrey Pathfinder account, careers appointments, careers fairs and events, using our jobs search engine for your job hunt and our excellent package of career development tools.
Creating your graduate account
Towards the end of your degree we ask you to create a Surrey Pathfinder graduate account. This is because once you leave Surrey you will lose access to the Surrey IT infrastructure. The graduate account gives you access to the same tools on Surrey Pathfinder as when you were a student.
You will find the graduate access to Surrey Pathfinder on this page surrey.ac.uk/pathfinder but you should scroll down to the Access for graduates section.
Our Online Careers Appointments are suitable for students and graduates. They are led by your needs, but some of the things they can be booked for are –
- I don’t know what I want to do, can you help me find some direction?
- I have an idea what I would like to do, but I am not sure how to get there.
- Can you check my job application, CV or covering letter?
- Can you give me job interview or assessment centre advice and a mock interview?
- Where can I look for graduate opportunities?
- Can I discuss whether to do a Masters, and if it will help with any careers plans I have?
When you are in your final year, you should continue to book appointments using your student account even if you have already created a graduate account. Once you have left, you will need to email us on email@example.com to book an appointment.
Every year we run large and small careers fairs and events series where leading employers and our careers advisers run skills sessions to help with things like –
- CVs and cover letters
- Strengths based applications and interviews
- Assessment centres
- Job interviews
- Personal branding and LinkedIn
- Psychometric tests
Students can find out about what events are running and book onto them here.
Graduates – Once you have left the university, you can still book onto our events by
- Going to surrey.ac.uk/pathfinder
- Scrolling down to Access for Graduates
- Selecting Careers Appointments, Events and Jobs
- Logging in and choosing Events
Jobs Search Engine
We advertise graduate jobs and schemes and graduate internships. You can also search for part-time work, volunteering, vacation jobs and funded PhDs. You can also search for jobs with an immediate start date.
Surrey Pathfinder’s career development tools
Surrey Pathfinder is made up of 2 separate careers packages, and once you have graduated you will need to have 2 accounts.
- Careers appointments, events and jobs
- Career development tools
What are career development tools?
The development tools include content to help you with all aspects of job hunting, interview preparation, industry and company research, self-development, practice psychometric tests, learning IT packages and personal branding.
Some of the popular items include –
- CV360 – This scores your CV against Applicant Tracking System’s (ATS) 50 common checks
- Interview 360 – You can practise your interview technique with a simulator and get instant feedback
- Assessment Centre Tool – this tool explains assessment centres, the common activities you may be assessed on, and how to perform
- Subject Specific Resources – find out about career routes linked to your degree subject and explore different career sectors. Students can access these here and graduates here.
How do I get my career development tools account?
Once you have created your Surrey Pathfinder graduate account, we will create a separate account for you to use the development tools.
- Look out for an email from us with the subject ‘Careers Development resources’ to access your career development tools account
- Create a password for this account
- Log in and start using!
We are looking forward to continuing to support you on your next steps after university. Click below to get started with your graduate account.