This placement is available through the Locus-UoS Placement Scheme. Opportunities available through this scheme are only open to University of Surrey postgraduate researchers. The aim of the scheme is to fund opportunities for postgraduate researchers to create connections between academia and industry. Further details about the Locus-UoS Project can be found here.
Organisation: EDGE Digital Manufacturing Ltd
Role: Technical Analyst / System Developer
Business Sector: Manufacturing, Professional Services
No of Employees: 1-10
EDGE Digital Manufacturing works with manufacturing business leaders to inspire them to accelerate their adoption of digital technologies, for productivity and carbon reduction. We have been in business for over three years, working with more than 60 companies throughout the UK. Our core services are focused on strategic planning, road mapping and support for collaborative digital transformation through workshops, coaching and our EDGE Digital Breakthrough app.
- Development of a prototype ‘expert system’ for digital manufacturing sustainability
- With reference to BSi PAS 1040 – Digital Readiness. Adopting digital technologies in manufacturing, undertake research into appropriate business / sustainability taxonomy
- Definition of use cases for the ‘expert system’ of anonymised customer data
- ‘Cleansing’ of data relating to digital adoption and business / sustainability attributes of EDGE’s engagements with 60+ companies
- Integration of data with the existing app
- Development of python code and testing of the functions of the ‘expert system’ functions
- Undertaking data analytics and insights.
Knowledge & Skills required:
- Research skills – essential
- Python programming skills and a working knowledge of MongoDB and Django or similar systems – essential
- Skills in analysis and dashboard visualisation/ reporting of data – essential
- An interest in environmental sustainability – desirable
- An interest in the application of data and digital technologies in manufacturing – desirable
Skills post graduate researcher will have an opportunity to develop:
In addition to building on the knowledge and skills listed above, the researcher will have the opportunity to support EDGE’s work with manufacturing companies and to learn about the application of digital technologies in production and to the wider circular economy of products.
The researcher will be collaborating directly with the Company Directors.
Dates of placement: Flexible, ideally between Jan 2022 – Easter 2022
Duration of opportunity: Flexible – ideally 12 weeks
Hours per week: Flexible depending on PGR availability
Location: Virtual with occasional face-to-face meetings in Kingston area
IT requirements: EDGE will provide licences for appropriate access to its IT systems including Microsoft Outlook, MongoDB and Django.
Deadline for applications: 12th November 2021
for this opportunity by:
- completing the PGR Locus Expression of Interest Form
- Sending your CV and covering letter, addressed to the Directors, to email@example.com. Applications will be forwarded on once the opportunity has closed.
- If you would like an informal chat about the role and to learn more about the work of the company before submitting your application, email the Directors, Steven Barr firstname.lastname@example.org and Ravi Gidoomal email@example.com
- If you would like 1:1 support with your CV or preparing for interview, please book an appointment with a Careers Consultant via this link or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Please ensure you have your supervisor’s agreement for undertaking a placement prior to applying.
Successful candidates will be paid by the University a maximum of £315 per week for full-time (pro-rata for part-time opportunities) to cover living expenses. Preference will be given to those PGRs who are not in receipt of UKRI funding.