My international exchange at Ryerson University

I spent my semester abroad in Toronto, studying at Ryerson University, right in the centre of Downtown Toronto. As cliché as it may sound, the past four and a half months were hands down the best of my life. I loved pretty much everything about Toronto. I’d always known I was a city person, so when study abroad applications came around I knew that Ryerson made the most sense for me, with its central location, as well as the fact that I’d always wanted to live in Canada, having family from Manitoba and friends in Ontario. 
Accommodation: Parkside Student Residence

I don’t think that my experience would have been the same without Parkside. It was the perfect home away from home! It was definitely on the pricey side as far as accommodation goes, but I rang ahead and persuaded them to let me take out a 4 month contract, so if you can do the same, I would recommend this!

It’s a fully catered residence, with an amazing selection of food (and as a vegan I didn’t struggle at all!), huge study areas, a gym, a balcony and a variety of room options. They also organised building events including a coach trip to Canada’s Wonderland for Halloween Haunt, Sushi night, theme nights and movie nights.  I had two roomies, Adrianna from Vegas and Jas from London, Ontario – both of whom became some of my closest friends in Toronto! I particularly enjoyed the “family-feel” – I’d never experienced such a great vibe in a student residence!

Memories:

– Ryerson Student life was similar to Surrey except modules were more exam-based and the campus was right in the city centre!

– TIFF (Toronto International Film Festival) – One of the highlights for me was watching La La Land at the Grolsch People’s Choice Award! Seeing Ryan Gosling up close is any girl’s dream and the atmosphere was magic!

– The Distillery District Christmas Market is a must-see!

– Visiting Blue Mountain Resort for the weekend! So. Much. Snow!

– Our trip to Montreal and the views from Mont Royal!

– We were lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time to watch Suits filming! We saw Gabriel Macht and Patrick Adams up close and freaked out! For any Suits lovers – they film in Toronto and it’s so cool to be able to witness it!

– Free Hockey Games at Ryerson – grab a Tim Horton’s coffee and it doesn’t get more Canadian (eh!!!)

– The people! It’s true that Canadians are beyond lovely! I made so many great friends in the city, who welcomed us exchangers with open arms.

Charlotte Adams, International Hospitality and Tourism Management