Study Abroad in Singapore

Damian Shumilov – BSc (Hons) International Business Management

As I arrived in Singapore, I couldn’t help but feel a sense of excitement and wonder. The city-state was a far cry from my house in England and I was eager to immerse myself in the vibrant culture and unique experiences that awaited me. 

During my semester abroad, I attended one of Singapore’s top universities, and I was immediately struck by the rigorous academic standards and the highly motivated students. However, I soon found that my professors were approachable and supportive and they encouraged me to explore the rich academic resources that the university had to offer. 

In addition to my academic pursuits, I spent much of my free time exploring the city-state and soaking up the local culture. I marvelled at the breathtaking skyline and the dazzling array of futuristic buildings and structures, such as the iconic Marina Bay Sands and the towering Supertrees of Gardens by the Bay. 

I also explored the city’s vibrant food scene, sampling a wide range of delicious dishes from hawker centers, upscale restaurants, and street vendors. Whether it was slurping up a bowl of savory laksa, savouring the sweet and spicy flavours of chili crab, or enjoying the delicate balance of flavours in a plate of chicken rice, I relished every opportunity to taste the culinary delights of Singapore. 

Beyond the city’s urban charms, I also had the chance to explore some of Singapore’s natural wonders. I hiked through lush rainforests, swam in crystal-clear waters, and marveled at the stunning flora and fauna of the region. From the lush greenery of the Bukit Timah Nature Reserve to the pristine beaches of Sentosa Island, I felt privileged to experience the beauty and diversity of Singapore’s natural environment. 

Of course, my study abroad experience was not without its challenges. There were times when I felt homesick, overwhelmed by the demands of my coursework, and unsure of my place in a new and unfamiliar culture. However, with the support of my fellow students, my professors, and the university staff, I was able to navigate these challenges and emerge stronger and more confident. 

In the end, my semester abroad in Singapore was a transformative experience that broadened my horizons, challenged my assumptions and helped me grow as a person. I returned home with a newfound appreciation for the richness and diversity of the world and a deep gratitude for the opportunity to study and learn in one of the most exciting and dynamic cities on the planet.