Move-in with me

Can’t believe it’s September already! I am sure a lot of you must be busy packing for move-in. To all the freshers who are struggling with what to bring, hope this checklist might be helpful to you😊

If you are living on campus, your room is fully furnished. So you don’t need to worry about getting furniture etc. But just make sure you check the right size of the bedding before buying your linen. I truly understand how hard it is to pack everything in two or three pieces of luggage. Below are some of my must-bring items:

• Some of your favourite clothes and shoes. But just make sure they are suitable for UK’s weather xd
  • All important documents – eg passport, BRP, university acceptance letter, etc. And bring some cash with you just in case of emergency 
  • Some of your comfort food. Although you could buy almost anything in the UK, you might be missing your favourite snack/food that is only available in HK.
  • Your own laptop or any other electronic device
  • Medicines – if applicable

Here is a checklist for your reference xd

Studying 

• Any cables/charger/USB stick
  • Stationary – eg notepad, pens, highlighters 

Kitchen equipment 

• Plates, bowls, glasses/cups/mugs, cutlery
  • Cooking knives, chopping board 
  • Saucepan 
  • Frying pan
  • Baking tray 
  • Cling film, tin foil
  • Tea towels, dish cloth, detergent 
  • Rice-cooker – this is my definite item xd As I can’t live without rice lol. I brought my own rice cooker in my first year. But you can easily buy it in the UK as well. 
  • Cookbook – learn a couple of dishes from your family or friends. The familiar taste from home is always the best medicine when you are homesick:)

Toiletry 

• Shampoo, bath wash 
  • Hair dryer
  • Washing detergent, washing basket, cleaning items, laundry basket  
  • Hangers

Bedroom

• Bed linen – including sheets, duvet, blankets, pillows, pillowcases
  • Some decorations – eg photos of family and friends that you could pin on the board provided in your room, your favourite doll

Student pack

As everyone arrives in the same week, it is likely that many of the items listed will be out of stock. And keep shopping during the first couple of days prior to a long journey could be daunting. Therefore, some students will consider ordering student packs. But the downside is there might be not particularly necessary to you. So just have a think before ordering xd Click here for more details:)

Hope this blog has been useful to those who are packing for uni. Have a safe journey and see you soon!