Students’ Budget Recipes – Lunch Edition

If you have read my previous post, Budget Recipes for Students – Spaghetti Edition, you can take some of them as lunch to school. At the University of Surrey, there are microwaves that you can use on campus, so you do not need to worry about the taste going bad due to the temperature changing. Today, I would like to introduce some budget, easy, and quick recipes for lunch.

Easy Pasta Lunch I Made

List of Contents

• Pasta
  • Oats Soup
  • Sandwich

Pasta

Ingredients

• Pasta
  • Stock Cube (1/4~1/2)
  • Water (50~100mL)
  • Garlic (a little)
  • Ketchup

Please mix all the ingredients after the pasta is boiled. Additionally, you can use regular red pasta sauce sold at supermarkets instead of a stock cube, ketchup, and water.

When you take your pasta/spaghetti to school for lunch, I try to use pasta noodles because when you eat spaghetti noodles, it is a little challenging to eat them from a lunch box which might be smaller than your dish plate.

Oats Soup

Ingredients

• Oats (1/3~1/2 of a jar)
  • Stock Cube (1/4~3/4)
  • Boiled water (pour this at school)
  • Soup Jar (as Lunch box)

This is the easiest lunch idea I have. If there is a soup jar with you, it is great, but even if you do not, you can use a light bowl to take to school. 

At the University of Surrey, there are some locations where you can pour boiled water, so what I prepare the day before my school day is just putting some oats and a stock cube into the jar.

Sandwich

Ingredient

• Slices of any bread
  • Slices of cheese
  • Buttery Spread
  • Any Ham (one or two slices per sandwich)
  • Egg (one egg per sandwich)
  • Cabbage or Lettuce
  • Mayonnaise
  • Salt & Pepper

Even if you do not have some of these ingredients, or if you have other ingredients, that will be your original sandwich. Here is a tip to make the cooking process easier. You can make scrambled eggs in the microwave. The process is, 1: put a raw egg, a little salt, and pepper into a bowl, 2: mix it with a fork, 3: put it in a microwave for 30 seconds, and 4: add 10 seconds if the egg is not fully cooked.

I recommend making sandwiches for lunch because bread in the UK, especially at some supermarkets in Guildford, is about three times cheaper than the Japanese one.

Thank you very much for reading this far. I hope this helps you make your life at the University of Surrey less challenging. Please have a lovely day.