Surrey Meets Vancouver!

Hello prospective and current University of Surrey Students! My name is Claire and I am currently in my first year of an MFA Degree in Musical Theatre at the Guildford School of Acting!

Hailing from Vancouver, Canada I find myself in the land of Tea and Fish & Chips because well… why not? But actually, I completed my Undergraduate Diploma in Musical Theatre at Capilano University in North Vancouver in 2018. One of my teachers there had recently completed his Masters degree at GSA and had been offered the position as the head of singing. He opened my eyes to the industry in the UK as well as Post-Graduate programs and opportunities. After a few years of working in the industry as a performer and teacher I was ready to return to school to sharpen my skills, make new connections and eat tons of Fish & Chips! (Can you tell why I chose the UK yet?)

The transition to Surrey has been both smooth and bumpy. From the warm welcome I received from the University and bonding with my GSA Cohort, to navigating my way through opening a bank account and buying train tickets. We don’t have trains back home the way you do in the UK, so taking one for the first time by myself, I might as well have been trying to fly a rocket to Mars! But that’s another blog entirely!

As we wrap up our first semester and begin to pack up for Christmas, I’ve been reflecting back on my first three months at Surrey. The things that worked well, what I wish I would have known and what I am most looking forward to for 2022. So check back regularly, I’ll be telling you all about Student life, the differences between here and home, and most importantly the top 5 Fish & Chips restaurants in town!