London Chinese New Year 2016: Year of the Monkey!

Hello guys ! 你好 !

It has been too long but with the first week of the new semester and assignments rolling in already, I think you guys can understand.

Over the last weekend, it was Valentine’s Day as well as the Chinese New Year celebration in London Chinatown! I had never seen Chinatown so packed before, it was as if the whole of London was crowding in Leicester Square. Queues were piling outside Chinese restaurant after Chinese restaurant. I found myself stuck in a human traffic jam because everyone stopped to catch the spectacular Lion-Dance show that we were all promised! Chinese New Year is also a time for family and gatherings with people you love and care about, kinda like a Chinese version of Thanksgiving if you will hahah. So I was lucky to enough to have my family and my best friend visiting me in London at the same time which was doubly awesome as you can imagine!

12715522_10153990528614301_624087488908882058_n[3]

So that’s my older sister on the left… no actually that’s my mummy! and of course my lovable sister! We waited 40 minutes for this bubble tea so we naturally had to capture this moment of course 😉 Matcha Milk tea from ChaTime is where it’s at guys… so if you’re ever in London and in NEED of bubble tea, this is comparable to what we have back in Singapore from GongCha !  🙂 (except sometimes I really do miss Gongcha!)

12705794_10153990530239301_8874530394506893697_n[1]

So, of course we went to Harrods and there were so many monkey-themed products to celebrate Chinese New Year which really made me happy to see how they really tried to bring in the Chinese culture here in England. but of course the prices… not so happy. haha

What is a visit to England without some scones and a warm cuppa’ (which means cup of tea btw!) I brought my family to this really nice café, The Tea Terrace, located in Guildford in the House of Fraser on the High Street,  which offered a full classic English Afternoon tea on the prettiest tableware I had ever seen! It was all so delicious, how the warm buttery scones complemented the creamy clotted cream and sweet strawberry preserves to a delicious perfection. Okay, Im totally getting hungry just blogging about this…

So that’s me and my best friend on Valentine’s Day! She came all the way from Vancouver in Canada… 🙂 We were so excited about the snap chat filter for Valentine’s Day.. not even going to lie. hahah

FullSizeRender 12710920_10153948487904588_5066521090330137838_o

I guess I didn’t really miss out that much on Chinese New Year and Valentine’s Day, besides having huge reunion dinners in Singapore and countless houses I have to visit and numerous pineapple tarts and love letters I get to stuff my face with… (and bakwa omg!) BUT I did get my fair share of hong baos (red packets of money) from some of my friends and family 🙂 And those chocolate brownies on the right, mhmm that’s right… this girl bakes too. I decided to bake some for some of my friends here in University because some of them are honestly some of the sweetest people I have ever met.

Anyways, I hope you guys had an amazing valentine’s day and Happy Chinese New Year to all who celebrated it! So many more blessings to come for the new year !

See you next time 🙂

Ecclesia x